26

"What was that?" I jump up and yell for the seventh time tonight.

"Calm down," Bin says in a non worried tone, "That was just a rabbit."

"Better to stay alert than to ignore the possibility of an attack," I snap, "I'm just nervous."

"I am too, and I sure don't want you going off on your own," He says, grabbing my wrist tightly. I look up into his eyes and they are not angry, but worried. Bin and I talked once I woke up the fourth time about a moving animal. I am to go off on my own so I can separtate myself from the fight. Possibly from the mutts sent to destroy us. There is no dought that that is what is going to happen. Maybe if this all wasn't based on my parent's first games, then maybe we would be able to just fight this out. But I have changed my mind, Bin, Cato and I are not good enough. The Capitol will need to add in some mutts. I move around uncomfortably in the sleeping bag that we are huddled in and sigh.

"I can't be with either of you during the finale Bin. You know this," I say. He slowly lets go of my wrist and I hug him.

"Today's the day," He whispers in my ear.

"The day I lose one of you," I whisper back. His hug tightens and he kisses my cheek when suddenly, the sun rises outside and it becomes unbareably hot again.

"Is that our cue?" He asks.

"I sure hope not," I reply weakly. "I'm scared."

"I am too," He admits as he lets go of me to look outside. "Should I go, or you?"

"I will," I say quickly. I know where I want to go. Well, not really. I am going to head South as far as possible, away from both Cato and Bin's camps. Away from the lake. Away from the Cornucopia. I have a good place in mind, but I am not sure if it is far enough South. I will try to make it to the ponds that my mother found water in when she nearly died of dehydration.

"Are you sure?" He asks.

"Don't make me change my mind," I pick up my supplies and sword, "I just really wish I had my bows." I look at Bin and see a smile playing on his lips, "What is is?" I ask. He turns around and picks up a brand new silver bow and a full sheath of arrows. "Bin! No way!"

"I found them at the enterance of the cave," He says, now frowning, "I think they want you to have it because whatever we will be facing today is dangerous."

"Probably," I say, still smiling. He helps me stap the arrows around my shouler and hands me the bow before hugging me very tightly.

"I don't know what is going to happen today Ariel, this could be our last day together," He says, I feel tears stinging my throat when I realize that this is true. Either the last day I see him, or Cato. One of them will die today.

"I love you," I sob.

"I love you too," chokes Bin. "Just promise me something."

"Anything," I whisper.

"Stay alive," he says. I laugh slightly, thinking of Haymitch's words.

"You too," We part and I walk out of the cave, wiping tears from my eyes. I start by walking, but after just a few short minutes, I find myself running. I can feel eyes on me, eyes of all of Panem. Eyes watching the tears spill down my face and stain the dry dirt. My eyes keep watching certain areas, I keep seeing strange large birds with bright colors fly away from me that I have never seen before.

I slow to a jog once I see the pond, I sigh in releaf and fall to the ground. "Owe," I mutter to myself. I tripped on a branch that just popped out, low to the ground, one of the tall, bright birds fly over me, making an aweful high pitched sound. It sounds like a disoriented baby seal mixed with a hawk. Are those the finale? Did one just try to attack me too early and the Capitol saved me so I could die later? So I could die after they put on a show? I know, that if this is true, that the birds are just preparing, because the finale wouldnt be something so simple.