Boyfriend

-The party seem to be extending into the morning as everyone danced their lives away

-
The party seem to be extending into the morning as everyone danced their lives away.

Every now and then, I found my gaze wandering over to Jason. I couldn't help but wonder if he was dancing with someone else or flirting with anyone.

The news that he had been with women other than me, still held my heart. I could feel myself self-consciously fixing the way I looked every now and again. I couldn't even see myself, but for some reason I felt as though everything was out of place.

Jeremy was the life of the party, though. He was leading conga lines, cracking jokes, even mingling with the brides family. You would've thought he'd planned the whole thing. I smiled as he took it upon himself to help the caterers restock the food.

He was such a kind guy. I couldn't understand why I didn't appreciate him more. He wasn't a bad guy. In fact, most girls would have fallen over at the thought of a guy who was as perfect as Jeremy. But for some reason, I found myself wanting something else. Craving the life that Jason brought me. Jeremy waved over to me, seeing my stare. I waved back gently with my elbow still on the table I was occupying.

Out of the corner of my eye I caught Dr Hammond walking over to me. I greeted him with a polite smile and moved my purse from the chair nearest mine.

He pulled out the wooden seat and laughed, making me raise my eyebrow. "It seems as though your date has left you for the food."

I nodded, catching on and laughing alongside him. "Yes. Yes, I always knew this is how it'd end between us. With Jalapeño Poppers." We laughed for a moment more before calming down.

"I wanted to apologize for any discomfort I caused for you and Jacey-Jason. Jason."

My face grew into shock and I waved him down. "No, no, no. It is not your fault. At all; it's just...I don't know."

"You two knew each other back in Colorado?"

I nodded, "We met my last year of homeschooling. He had just moved there."

Dr Hammond grimaced; I cocked my head to the side. "What's wrong Dr Hammond?"

"Please, call me Felix. I'm only Dr Hammond on campus."

"Okay then, Felix."

He sighed, looking towards Jason to see him laughing with Mrs Hammond-Katherine. I wondered how they all knew one another.

"Jason is my Godson. I went to college with his mother; we were great friends up until her death."

"Oh-oh. I'm so sorry."

He shook his head and interlocked his hands on the table, as though speaking of her was causing him pain. "Laura was everything you'd imagine her to be. Lively, charismatic, caring; and she loved her son more than anything in this world,"