Dead In the Water

-"I'm so excited

-
"I'm so excited. This should be fun!" Christina exclaimed, jumping up and down and clapping her hands as we walked towards her car. She was the only one with a vehicle that could hold more than one person since we all rode bikes, so it was decided that we'd use her car, but Noah would drive.

Luckily, she drove a black ford focus, so it was both dark and compact. No attention there.

Jason and Noah had both made Chris and I change into black leggings and a black sweatshirt along with some black sneakers. I had begrudgingly changed twice after Jason disapproved of the shoes I was wearing. Apparently, the shoes needed to be 'fuck outta here' shoes, not regular sneakers. Whatever the hell that meant.

Noah laughed at Christina's amusement and I just crossed my arms, falling into step with Jason who was slightly behind the rest of us. "What's up?"

He looked up from staring at his feet for a moment, giving me a side smile. I couldn't help but return the action.

"Nothing. Kinda worried that Christina is gonna scream when a squirrel jumps out of the dark, but other than that, I'm good."

I scoffed. "You don't look 'good'."

He shrugged, looking towards the sky. He knew he couldn't pretend with me. He had his hands in the front of his dark blue jeans, with a chain linking that area and his back pockets. He had on a black sweatshirt and black sneakers, adding his biker cut above it for good measure.

"I was staring at some of your photos in your room."

Uh-oh.

"Yeah?" I summoned every thought in reference to my room and couldn't for the life of me, remember what photos I had in my room other than the one Chris put up of her and I our first day of our second-year, and the one of my family which my parents made me show them every time we face-timed.

"You had a photo of us. And him."

I nodded. That made sense. I never could bring myself to not put up the photo I had of Jason and I when I went into my second year of college. Jeremy and I weren't dating at that time, so no one questioned me about it. When Jeremy and I did get together afterwards, he never questioned the photo, but I knew it bothered him so I placed one of us to make him feel a little bit better.

"Yeah, I guess I need to do some spring cleaning now," He chuckled, but I could tell he had more on his mind than that. "What about it?"

"I just was wondering what kind of boyfriend would allow his girlfriend to have a photo of her ex-fiancé on her desk?"

I smiled to myself and shook my head. "Jeremy wasn't like that. He never really got...jealous. It was like he knew I had unresolved feelings for you and he knew he couldn't touch them or take them away," I hugged myself tighter. "I liked Jeremy in a different way—a way I can't really explain. It wasn't like I led him on. I really...I really thought I could, one day, feel something for him. Sorry! You probably don't want to hear about this."