Don't Call Me Angel

-"Uh, thanks for um- you know, coming over

-
"Uh, thanks for um- you know, coming over." I walked Jason into the dormitory hall. The blue and green stripped carpeted caught my eye as I tried to avoid his. Out of the corner of my sight, however, I could tell he was staring down at me. He always had a way of knowing when I really didn't want to deal with something alone.

"You didn't even ask me to come over. In fact, I never got to tell you why."

I stopped, raising my eyebrows and leaning against the dark blue wall. The hallways was quiet, it usually was after classes had ended. If college students weren't in class, they were probably napping, that or watching movies and tv shows on the internet. Either way, we'd probably go undisturbed for as long as we needed to.

Jason stood across the hall, parallel to me. His head was lent against the blue paint, but his body stretched further and further away from it. He had crossed his arms over his chest and squinted his eyes a bit, as though he was doing what he always did whenever I wasn't in an elated mood; figuring me out.

We had decided not to discuss the possibility of my biological father being in Seattle. We didn't really know if it was even him, so Jason made me promise not to jump to any conclusions until there was solid proof. I promised him, but I couldn't help the voice in the back of my head begging me to look into it. I had to find out something, even if it wasn't the right guy in the end.

"I was gonna argue with you about how you've been giving me the run-around since the wedding." I took my back off the wall, slightly offended.

"I have not been giving you the run-around. You know what I want Jace, you just haven't given me an answer to it yet."

He shook his head and laughed. It wasn't as though he was mocking me, but as if I couldn't see what he was clearly trying to tell me.

"You really think I'd ever say no to you Ellie? I think my lack of self-control in your room five minutes ago was your answer."

I rolled my eyes and walked over to him, starting to feel belittled. I didn't just want him to want me. I wanted him to need me. Him being unable to resist kissing me was something most guys have felt with at least a couple of people in their lifetime. But him being unable to live without me was something every guy has only felt once.

"Jace, I don't need you to tell me if you want to sleep with me, I know the answer to that already." He chuckled, but I wasn't finished. "What I need you to tell me is if you think we could ever go back to how we were...or at least somewhere better?"

Jason finally looked as though he understood. Rising up to his full height, his head hung down to look into my eyes. I couldn't bear the silence, so I broke away from his gaze to stare down at my purple satin top. The reflection from the window to the right of us made my shirt light up. It subtly reflected off of Jason's black shirt, one he wore to, no-doubt, enhance the look of his arm muscles.