Chapter 11: Cell Silence

"Beckett, calm down would you? It's not real. I think you'd have to murder someone before you could really be in jail." Said Evangeline holding back her laugh.

"That's right. Even if you did murder someone, you'd be here for life or death penalty." Said Gregory.

"Okay, but I don't understand the point of this Evangeline." I said.

Evangeline was in the cell on my left side. She did not seem bothered by the fact that we were in an actual jail cell. Even if it wasn't real, it was kind of uncomfortable being in there, and freezing.

"I won't be able to experience this because I live on the other side of the world. I've always wanted to get arrested in America!" She said excitedly.

"You'd be deported if you were arrested here." I said rolling my eyes.

"You need some enthusiasm. It is my duty to cheer you up!"

"I don't need enthusiasm, Evangeline. What I need is to get out of here. It's small and cold and I do not want my mom freaking out when I don't show up for chemo later!" I said holding the bars.

"Well were not getting out until the next two hours, so get comfortable. Let's share things!" She chuckled.

"Alright. What do you want to know?" I sat on the bench.

"Best interest?"

"Interest?" I asked.

"Like what interests you the most. Out of EVERYTHING." She exaggerated.

"Before I found out I was sick, I really liked track. But of course I couldn't join. I was getting weaker year by year."

"So you've never ran?"

"Well I have, just for not long like in track and cross country. My knees were hurting too much. They felt like toothpicks, they could snap."

"Your turn." She said softly.

"First boyfriend." I asked.

"Oh, you entered that one fast." She said shocked. In all honesty, I did not mean to put her on the spot. I was just curious about the subject. Mostly because she barely talks about her love life. I just wanted to see where it was.

"Sorry but curiosity finds it way everywhere." I smiled.

"Hugo. Hugo Dackerman."

"Dackerman?" I questioned.

"He was a rich polo boy. Went to prep school with me. Started dating at the age of seven."

"Seven?" I chuckled.

"What's so funny?" She chuckled.

"I thought your first boyfriend was when you were like twelve or something." I chuckled.

"No, that was Dexter Chasalow. Hugo was my first boyfriend and first kiss. Imagine that? Kissing someone at the age of seven? Quiet odd."

"How many boyfriends have you had?" I said bluntly.

"Hey! You skipped-"

"Just answer. Please." I interrupted her.

"Three. Hugo Dackerman, Dexter Chasalow and Charles Cross. Except Charles was my first real boyfriend. I was fifteen, of course nothing lasted between us because I got sick. He wanted to take care of me but my parents wouldn't allow it because it was a large commitment. I ended things with him before I moved to the states. He was upset and hasn't contacted me since. I was hurt but I'm okay now. I'm sure he's okay too." She said softly.

"How old were you when you guys broke up?"

"Seventeen? Why does this take such a sudden interest? You keep skipping turns!"

"I'm just curious." I mumbled but the echo of the silent cell made everything around us louder, even our breaths were heard throughout the cell.

"Are you jealous?" She got excited.

"No way." I scoffed.

"What? Are you afraid Hugo and Dexter might come crawling back?" She chuckled.

"No way, if anything I would be worried about Charles coming back-" I stopped.

"What?" She stopped chuckling.

"Nothing. Your turn."

She stayed silent. It was obvious she began thinking. I knew how Evangeline was and how she acted when she freaked out. She was freaking out.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. Just thinking of a question."

She wasn't. She knew what she heard. There was nobody else in there except Evangeline and I. Gregory had left to finish paperwork until our two hours were done.

"Okay, I have one."

"Shoot."

"How many girlfriends have you had?"

"One. Madelyn Dunne. Started dating when we were thirteen. She was nice and weird. I can still remember every time she was nervous, she would always be swaying her arms back and forth. She broke up with me when we were both sixteen. Said she had met a new guy named Christian. Days later, I found out I had Osteosarcoma. When I went into Saint Bernards, I met another girl named Harper but then I left and came here." I mumbled.

"And then?" She whispered.

"I met you." I mumbled.

I knew she was smiling. Evangeline was a huge person on romance. She found out I had a crush on her while being in "jail." Not the best place but she knew. But, I do think it was important to her. Especially since she now knew about Madelyn and Harper.

The cells were quiet. We did not say a single word after that. Luckily it had only been three minutes until Gregory came barging in.

"Alright kiddos. Time is up. You can leave now." Said Gregory holding the cell door.

Once we got out of the cells, Evangeline and I just looked at each other. We smiled and hugged.

"We just spent two hours locked in a jail cell! We did it!" She grabbed my arms and squeezed them. After, she ran out of the room excited. I smiled and shook Gregory's hand and ran after Evangeline.