Chapter 14

14 (Audrey's Point of View)

Outside it was cold, as usual, but George's arms and leather jacket helped me stay warm. I was thankful for the thick blanket between us and the hood of my mum's car. The stars were above us, the full moon shinning bright, the small open field made it seem like a dream. I had many dreams of being so close with George, but I never thought they would happen. It's been hours since we left the pub and I had mad George continuously sing the song he wrote for me. The thought of the hard weekend I had suffered had completely left my mind as this week was just starting.

George slightly raised his head to kiss the bruises and cuts on my face. "I can't believe how beautiful you are," he smiled to himself.

"These marks, they're horrible," I sighed.

George agreed. "But nothing will ever be able to hide your beauty." He sat up, looking through his pocket. "I have something for you," he continued to look until he found it. He pulled it out and I sat up, gently taking it from him.

"It's a necklace?" I smiled.

He smiled. "A locket," he corrected. He opened it and showed me the inside.

"Oh, George!" I almost cried. I wrapped him in a hug as I smiled at the picture inside. He had put the first picture we'd ever taken together. I was seven and he was six, our smiles both missing teeth. "It's so amazing," I said, pulling away to put the locket on.

He helped me, then gently kissed me after. "I knew it would look amazing on you, but I didn't know it would look this... Perfect." He smiled.

I laid back down on my stomach and opened the locket, staring at the picture. "I can't believe you still have this."

He laid down with me, using his arm as a prop to hold his head up. "It's my favorite picture," he smiled.

"Why do you like me so much?" I asked. "Why not Kaitlyn? She's ten times more beautiful than me, ten times more talented, ten times better in general."

George nodded. "She is beautiful. She is talented. And she's also my best friend. But you're the love of my life."

"Did you ever think we'd be together?" I looked into his eyes.

George smiled. "I knew we would. I know everything about you, my love, and I knew that would give me an advantage that no other guy could have."

I smiled and rested my head on his neck, between his jaw and shoulder. "I don't know why I didn't pick you sooner," I sighed.

"I don't know why either," he laughed. "Something in the way she moves..." George started.

I smiled as I brought my body closer to his, cuddling for warmth.

When he finished the song, I smiled. As George smiled back, I knew I was in love. A sudden realization occurred to me. "What time is it, darling?" I asked.

George glanced at his watch. "One-twenty."

I gasped and jumped off the car. "It's Monday night! My curfew was ten! And I wasn't even supposed to be allowed that late, I begged mum!" I started pacing. "He's going to kill me. He is literally going to kill me." I started crying. "I can't go home. I'm not ready to. I know he's going to kill me. He called off work this week to keep an eye on me. What if-"

George rushed to me, silencing me with a kiss. He wiped my tears away, then held my shoulders tightly. "You'll be okay."

"George, he's going to-" more tears began to flow.

He let them fall this time, his focus was on calming me. "You'll be okay. You can spend the night at my house."

"But it's a school night-"

"We can talk about it with mum in the morning," he promised me as he kissed my forehead. "Okay? Take deep breaths."

I eventually calmed and we put the blanket back in the car. I let George drive, he held my hand the whole time, singing along to every song that came on.

As we passed Kaitlyn's house, I saw her bedroom light on, Kaitlyn and John were dancing.

I looked at George, then back to Kaitlyn's room as it passed. "Young love," George joked.

One last glance at her house left me with the startling image of Paul, sitting in his car, spying on Kaitlyn and John.