18. A Honest Job

-Blake-

 -Blake-

For a guy like me, it was really weird to wake up in a soft bed. It was odd when I couldn't hear the sounds of nature or traffic around me when I opened my eyes. It was still raining outside, but the steady, muffled drumming of the raindrops was the only thing I could hear. I couldn't hear the wind or the rustle of the leaves. There were no sounds of the birds or any other animal in the quiet room. I turned on my side and looked through the window, but there was nothing else to see than the boring, gray sky.

But, the weirdest part by far was the fact that I was now a guest in the Simmons' home. I definitely did not see that coming. I should've been long gone by now, but fate had stopped me from leaving.

I remembered climbing up the tree near the tall stone walls at the edge of the neighborhood. I tossed my bag over the fence, before searching for a good place to jump. I remembered jumping, but the wall was slippery from the rain and moss, so I lost my footing. I hit my head on the edge of the wall when I fell, and now I had a big bump to remind me of that.

I had a headache, and I was feeling a little sick. I had spent a long time in my cold and wet clothes last night, so it wouldn't be a surprise if I had caught the flu. I usually didn't get sick, so even small flu was unbearable for me.

Well, it usually was, but now I hardly even noticed it.

Why? Because Jordan was right above me on the third floor. I wanted so badly go see him that it almost hurt. I knew Jordan probably wouldn't open his door for me, even if I begged on my knees, so I had to wait until the evening, and even then, it wasn't guaranteed that I could see him.

"What a weird night," I muttered to myself while rolling on my back.

I stared at the ceiling as I could somehow see through it, and see Jordan. I had no idea what time it was, but Jordan must be awake already. I didn't know if I should get up from the bed already and go find Mrs. Simmons. I had no idea what she expected from me.

She said that I was her new intern. Was she serious about it? How long was she planning on letting me stay in her home? What if the police came looking for me? Also, I couldn't possibly eat their food and not pay for my share, so I needed to go back stealing. Or was Mrs. Simmons really going to hire me? I had no experience in anything else except being a thief!

I shook my head and forced myself to leave the warm, cozy bed. I wouldn't be getting any answers while staying put. If I wanted to know what was going on, I needed to go ask Mrs. Simmons.

I made the bed the best I could, before searching for some clean clothes to wear. Once I had a pair of jeans and a black T-shirt on, I brushed my hand through my hair, trying to get it in some kind of order.

Then, I checked myself in the mirror and gave myself an ugly grin. I wasn't at my best, but at least I didn't look like a complete Sasquatch. There was nothing I could do about my tired look, so I grabbed my sweater before heading out of the guestroom to find the lady of the house.