35. Storm of Emotions

-Julia-

-Julia-

Almost an hour later, I stood at the bottom of the stairs that led to the third floor. It was five minutes before seven, and I was anxiously waiting for Jordan to call for me as he promised. During those few minutes, I feared that he wouldn't let me come after all. I would understand of course, but I had waited for so long to be finally able to see him, so I would probably spend the night crying if he changed his mind.

I would probably spend the night crying even if I got to see him. I was already fighting off my emotions.

I turned to look at Jamie, who was sitting next to a wall, giving me company while I waited. "My, I'm getting really nervous," I told her and took a deep breath before I let out an anxious giggle.

"It's going to be fine," Jamie said.

I tried to relax, but it was impossible. The seconds passed slowly, while I constantly tousled my hair and straightened my outfit. I had never liked clocks – because Jordan was so obsessed with them – and at that moment I almost couldn't stand the thought of time.

And then...

"Mom?"

I stopped breathing when I heard my son's voice. I had to place both hands over my mouth, so I wouldn't start sobbing right there on the spot.

"I'm here," I spoke with a broken voice, hoping he had heard me. "I'm coming now."

I turned to look at Jamie, who gestured me to climb upstairs. I nodded and took a deep breath before I took the first step towards my son.

Slowly, but steadily, I climbed up, anxiety rising in my chest with each step I took. I almost forgot to breathe when I climbed up. I wanted to run the final steps, but I didn't want to scare Jordan, so I tried my best to stay calm.

But when I reached the third floor, I could only see Blake waiting for me.

"Jordan?" I spoke his name quietly.

"I'm right here," Jordan said with a muffled voice.

I almost started crying when I realized that my baby boy was right there behind the wall, next to the doorway. He was just two feet away from me, hidden from my view.

"I need to calm down first," he said apologetically.

"That's all right my dear," I said, trying to keep my voice from trembling too much.

I looked at Blake, who was standing out in the hallway with me. He had a small smile on his lips when he patted my shoulder.

"Thank you," I told him quietly. He nodded shortly without saying a word.

"Okay, I can do this," Jordan spoke, and I snapped my head in his direction. I could hear his silent footsteps just before he came out of his hiding place.