56. Not Alone

-Blake-

-Blake-

I was not prepared for this. As I stared at the picture Julia had given me, I was numb. The couple in it looked almost familiar... The longer I stared at them, the more details caught my eyes. Similarities. Bits and pieces of my own features.

"Their son, Antoni Woźniak, went missing eighteen years ago. He was three years old at the time," Julia said quietly.

"You already told me this," I muttered, staring at the picture.

"Do you remember anything?" she asked.

I looked up at her, and then at the picture. "I... No..."

The name... The faces... I thought I would immediately know for sure if I ever saw a picture of my parents, but no... I couldn't remember them. I couldn't remember seeing these people.

"They are eager to take the DNA test. My brother told them this may be a longshot, but they are desperate. I know what it's like not knowing what happened to your child," she spoke, turning to look at Jordan.

"I don't know if it's a good idea," I said, giving her the picture. "I have no idea how many crimes they can connect to me if they have my DNA. I can't go to jail. Not now. Jordan needs me," I added, looking at him as well.

"Blake," Jordan said softly, touching my arm. "This is your life we're talking about. I'd hate myself for standing in your way in a matter like this. Those people could be your family."

I had no idea what to think. I was not prepared for this. I had no idea what the right decision was.

"I... I don't..." I glanced at the picture again before turning my back on all of it. "I can't right now..."

"It's all right," Jordan said, following me. I felt his hand on my arm, so I stopped, letting him step in front of me. "We have all the time in the world. We don't have to make any decisions now."

"We...?" I muttered, and he smiled.

"We're in this together," he whispered, touching my cheek. "We'll get through this together."

I hadn't even noticed I was having a hard time breathing, not until his smile calmed me down.

"He's right – there's no hurry," Julia spoke. "I'll just leave this here by the door. Sleep over it and we'll talk again tomorrow, okay?"

I turned to look at her as she was placing the picture on the desk that was just outside the room. When she turned to look at me again, she was smiling.

"You are not alone in this," she spoke soothingly. "We will always be here for you, no matter what happens."

I nodded slowly, feeling grateful for her words. She closed the door, leaving us alone, and when I turned my attention back to Jordan, he wrapped his arms around me, pecking my lips.