10 ➺ in love

「 IN LOVE」

BACK IN THE SLYTHERIN COMMON room, the atmosphere hung tensed and silent. Almost a quarter of the people there had gone to Hogsmeade and each of them had experienced the incident with the dementors in one way or another. A heavy chill has fallen over the castle.

Daphne had been close to the scene and she described what had happened to Theo and Blaise. She hugged herself close, shivering slightly even though she sat close to the fire.

"It was terrible," she said in a shaky whisper. "Astoria and I were inside Honeydukes, and we saw everything from the window. There was a group of third-year Ravenclaws, huddled together, and I think that's what attracted the dementors. A clump of happy souls roaming free - they couldn't resist." She drew a shuddering breath and paused, munching on her chocolate. Madam Pomfrey had handed out chocolates to all of those who had been to Hogsmeade. Not a lot was available, so they had to share among themselves.

Theo felt bad for Daphne. It was terrible enough for him watching the dementors converge on their victims from far off - he couldn't imagine what it must have been like for her.

"Anyway," she continued, "they came out of nowhere. Well, they must have been slowly inching towards us but we couldn't see through the snow until it was too late. It became so cold. They surrounded the kids. I could see their faces through the windows - they looked like all blood has been sucked out of their faces and they were scared to even run. Then they started dropping unconscious, one by one. The shopkeeper from Honeydukes went outside to cast a Patronus, and I saw other Patronuses coming from different directions, and the dementors scattered. They went away, but the kids - well I hope they're okay. No one got kissed, thankfully."

A heavy silence followed her recount of the event. She glanced in another direction, and Theo saw her watching Astoria who sat with Draco.

"You know," said Daphne suddenly, laughing a little. "Malfoy has been surprisingly caring towards Astoria. He looked worried sick when he came to greet us. Maybe I should cut him some slack."

"That's what I've been trying to tell you for days," said Theo in a monotonous tone.

"Well, we should be happy," Blaise spoke for the first time. Both Theo and Daphne looked at him in surprise. They had forgotten he was sitting with them. "They won't keep the dementors now. They can't. They'll be gone for good."

"How can we be happy?" Daphne exclaimed. "You saw those dementors. They were attacking thirteen-year-old kids!"

"Yes, but they're unharmed, aren't they?" he countered. "No one got kissed. They'll be back on their feet in no time. What's there to fuss about?"

Theo involuntarily clenched his fists. He wished Blaise would shut up. After witnessing Blaise's reaction to the dementors, he had had the fleeting impression of him being human and he didn't want his words to ruin that image.

"What's there to fuss about?" Daphne demanded, crushing the chocolate in her hands. She seemed to have no awareness of having done that. "Those Carrows put those creatures on our school, and they almost got some kids killed - worse than killed! Even if they remove them, we cannot just leave this incident in the past. The Carrows need to understand that they can't get away with everything."

Blaise snorted. "Really? What are you going to do? Stupefy them? Burn their books? There's nothing you can do, so just be glad that the creatures will be gone soon."

"Blaise, shut up," Theo said through gritted teeth, not looking at him. Blaise looked at him in surprise. But Daphne seemed to have more to say.

"Would you be acting the same way if it was Corben cowering in front of those dementors?"