21 ➺ dark mark and secrets

「 DARK MARK AND SECRETS 」

THEO WOKE, THANKFULLY, VERY EARLY.

He didn't know if it was because of the pain on his stomach but he didn't care as long as he could run into the dorms and gather his belongings without meeting Blaise.

The shawl was spread over him. He folded it carefully, picked up his jacket, and went up the stairs leading to the boys' dormitory. The curtains on all the beds were drawn shut. He tiptoed to his fourposter bed and began to shove his books into his bag. The shawl - he carefully placed under his pillow. He was aware of Blaise's presence on the bed next to his but he pointedly avoided looking.

He should take a shower. He badly needed a shower. But the more time he spent in the dorms, the more suffocated he felt. He decided to wash his face and neck, and leave. He turned in the direction of the bathroom when the bathroom door opened and out came Blaise, water dripping from his hair.

So much for hiding.

They stared at each other for a second. Theo tried to read Blaise's expression, but it was as unreadable as always. He hastily picked up his bag and moved toward the door to leave, but Blaise caught his arm. "Theo, please," he said in a small voice. "Please, let me explain."

Theo yanked his arm away. "There's nothing to explain."

But Blaise has blocked his way and he couldn't get to the door without shoving past him. So he turned away and faced the wall, unable to look at his face. He felt Blaise come up to stand close behind him. He stiffened. "It's not my fault. I can explain."

"Explain what?" Theo said through gritted teeth. "You knew she was my friend. You knew I liked her. And yet you didn't hesitate to hand her over to the Carrows."

"I didn't know they were going to kidnap her." Blaise's voice rose. "I just—"

Theo whirled around. "Really?" He almost shouted. "What did you think they were going to do? Invite her to tea and reward her for being a good girl? Tell me what you thought, Blaise."

He spat out the name with so much hatred that Blaise flinched. He didn't say anything.

Theo moved past him and strode toward the door. Blaise followed, trying to catch his arm again. Losing his temper, Theo turned and shoved him hard against his chest. "Just—just stay away from me!"

Eyes suddenly blurry, he hurried out of the dorms and ran down the stairs. Someone sat on the bottom step but he barely noticed as he passed them and was out of the common room in seconds. Halfway through the dungeons, he heard footsteps behind him, getting closer.

"Theo, wait."

It was Daphne. But Theo didn't slow down or look back. He continued walking until Daphne caught up and grabbed his arm. He flinched horribly and pushed her, before he halted, surprised at his own behaviour. Daphne looked shocked and hurt.

"Merlin, Theo!" she remarked, not hiding her annoyance. "I know you're mad at Blaise but it's not fair to take it out on me."

He lowered his eyes guiltily. "I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me."

She took a few steps toward him, opened her mouth to say something, then closed it again. She seemed to be at a loss for words.

"You don't have to say anything," he muttered. "I don't want to talk about it anyway."

She bit her lips but nodded. "Okay. Let's go for breakfast then."

He started walking. Daphne joined him and linked her arm around his elbow, the same way she has done so many times before. Theo liked it, liked the innocent physical contact without any sort of intimacy, but now it made him feel suffocated. He gently pulled his arm away from her grip and folded his arms before his chest. He didn't look at her but he knew she was hurt.