14 ➺ let's dance

「 LET'S DANCE 」

BLAISE HAD LEFT THE DORMS long ago, but Theo stalled. Especially after the talk with Luna yesterday, he found it particularly difficult to talk to Blaise or even look at him. After Blaise was done getting ready for the party, Theo had insisted that he wait for him in the common room. Blaise never took much time to get dressed up, but he somehow always looked better than anyone else in the vicinity.

Theo sat on his bed, absentmindedly pulling at the hem of his shirt. Should I tell him? he asked himself. Luna was confident that he should. But she was Luna and he was not. He could not jump to a decision without thinking and overthinking about the consequences countless times until he eventually ended up ditching everything down the drain.

Maybe, he thought, for once he should shut his head and simply follow his instincts.

Looking over his shoulder to check that Blaise really had left the dorm, he reached a hand under his pillow and extracted a wrinkled sheet of parchment, smoothing it out under his fingers. The letter had arrived this afternoon from his father. He was thankful that it hadn't come during breakfast with the morning mail, for after reading through it, he felt no desire to share it with anyone, least of all Blaise. His hands shook as his fingers tightened around the edges of the paper.

Dear Theo, it read.

As you know we have duties to attend to for the Dark Lord. It would be best if you stayed back at Hogwarts for the holidays. I believe you will come to much better use if you continue with your responsibilities for the Carrows and keep an eye on the troublemakers for them.

Best wishes,

Father

Theo crumpled the sheet of paper and tossed it into his trunk, slamming the lid shut. He had hoped to be in a good mood for the party, but his father had swooped in at the right moment to ruin it for him. He wasn't particularly looking forward to going home, nor did he miss his father. But he was happy to be let out of the castle for once, and now he would have to stay here over the Christmas holidays and run errands for the Carrows, more so because most of the Inquisitorial Squad would be going home.

Taking deep, heavy breaths, Theo forced himself to his feet and pulled on a woolly black jumper over his head. He brushed his hair, paying no particular attention to what he was doing. He didn't even realise that the door to the dorms had opened and jumped when he heard someone flopping down on one of the beds with a dramatic sigh.

It was Draco.

His father's letter pushed momentarily out of his mind, Theo smiled as he made his way over to his dormmate. "Heard you wanted to sneak into the party with Astoria?" he teased.

"Don't bother me." Draco scowled. "Go and enjoy your party."

"Hey, the party is stupid. There are better places to go on a date."

He saw Draco redden. "We are not dating," he muttered.

Theo grinned as he pulled the pillow from under his head and smacked it over his face. Draco glared daggers at him, ready to pounce. "Don't give me that bullshit, Malfoy. Listen, half the castle will be mourning about not being invited to the party. Use this opportunity to take Astoria somewhere."

Draco scoffed, looking at him like he had lost his mind. "Where? We aren't even allowed to go to the grounds." He earned another smack in the head.

"You don't have to go outside. This castle is huge. I'm sure you will find a place."

"I'm sure Daphne will be following us everywhere."

Theo nudged him on the shoulder. "That's enough moping. Put on something nice and get out."