38 ➺ face the repercussions

「 FACE THE REPERCUSSIONS 」

SEAMUS, AS EXPECTED, GREETED THEO with a big hug.

They had managed to find the opportunity to see each other without drawing attention from the Carrows. Alecto's knife, as it turned out, was quite a big of a deal. She refused to let the matter go and was convinced that someone had stolen it. She had called the Inquisitorial Squad once again to hunt for her knife and find the perpetrator. Theo had escaped.

While the Carrows were busy after dinner ordering their minions around, Theo sought out Seamus and brought him to the Astronomy Tower.

As his arms circled him, Theo was momentarily freed of the pain that had taken permanent residence inside his stomach. Since Blaise walked away from him yesterday, Theo hadn't seen him. He didn't appear in any of the classes and Theo had spent the night curled up in the corner of the common room so he didn't have to see Blaise going up to the dormitory.

It would have hurt less if Blaise had told him that he didn't like him that way. Theo had been preparing himself for it - he had even forced himself to accept the fact that Blaise was under no obligation to love him back. And if he didn't, it was okay. They would still be friends.

But Blaise had simply walked away. Theo didn't understand the silence and it tore him apart.

Seeing Seamus conciliated him, although Theo wasn't sure he would ever forget the sheer indifference in Blaise's face -

No, Theo wouldn't think about this anymore. At least, not for a while. He was with Seamus and he wouldn't let his mind get distracted.

When their hug ended, Theo lowered himself to the floor and stretched out his legs, patting the spot next to him for Seamus to sit. "So where's Neville?" asked Theo.

Seamus narrowed his eyes. "Well, it's good to see you too, Theo. I'm doing absolutely spiffing, thanks for asking."

Theo laughed and punched him lightly. "The Carrows woke us up in the middle of the night to go and look for him," Theo said. "I think I deserve to know."

Seamus looked instantly apologetic. He turned toward Theo and said, "They did? I'm sorry. They're absolutely obsessed with Neville."

"Do you know where he is?" Theo decided not to press much. Seamus was clearly avoiding the question.

He answered after a few seconds of deliberation. "I do know. But I can't tell you. Sorry."

"Is he going to come back?"

Seamus gave a bitter laugh. "No. The Carrows don't care about keeping him alive anymore. Did you know they sent Death Eaters after his grandmother? She escaped, thankfully. But now they don't have anyone to threaten Neville with, so he went into hiding to keep away from them."

Though Theo feared the Carrows, he knew his fear would never come close to what Neville and the others went through. He had a sort of immunity for being the child of a Death Eater and though that did not stop the Carrows from torturing him, he would never have to face a situation where he would have to run to save his life.

A sudden realisation came upon him.

"Wait." He looked toward Seamus, touching his arm. "You're the only one left in your dormitory. Unless that's where he's hiding."

A smile slowly grew in Seamus's face. It didn't look forced, but it was heavy with sadness. "No, that's not where he's hiding."

"How does it feel?"

"Not great." Seamus pulled at the sleeve of his shirt. "It's lonely, of course. But other than that, people expect me to pick up the reins of the DA now that both Ginny and Neville are gone."