Waking Up (Brant)

A painful poke to his foot pulled Brant from the void of darkness in one fluid motion as he felt himself ripped from the emptiness that had held him for what felt like years. He felt as if his foot had been stabbed with a knife, and his eyes bolted open. He noticed Doctor Bartman was poking his toes with a pen and then writing on his clipboard. A stab in his pinky finally made him take in a sharp breath. "Ow Tim, that hurts! Cut it out!"

"Holy shit!" Tim yelped, surprised with Brant's sudden awakening as he dropped the pen.

"Is that how you treat all your residents?" Brant wheezed as he tried to make a grin, his toes tingling in pain as he began to violently cough.

"It's a special treatment for the ones who fall into a coma for a month before waking up..." Mathew's voice poked up, causing Brant to look over.

"M-Mathew?" Brant asked, "What are you doing here? Don't you have class?"

"We have an extended vacation," Mathew said with a grin as he let out a relieved sigh and stood up. "You've been out for so long we wondered if you were ever going to wake up! I never doubted you for a second though!"

"Brant...?" Clare's voice spoke up from the doorway nervously, her tone shaking in disbelief. "This isn't a dream right?" Brant turned his attention to Clare and watched through the extremely bright light as she pinched herself a few times. "Oh my baby boy!" She cried out, dropping the plastic cup in her hand, and dashing across the room. "Oh my sweet boy is finally awake!" She sobbed as she wrapped her arms around Brant's body and held him tight. "My baby boy, I'm so happy, you're finally awake!"

"Can't... Breath...!" Brant gasped out as she squeezed him tighter. "Please... Let go...!"

"Never again sweety, sorry!" Clare giggled, planting kiss after kiss on the cheek. "I'm never going to let you go again. I missed you so much! I'm so happy that you made it through!"

"Mom..." Brant gasped as he felt his air supply running out. "Please... I need air!" Clare let her grip on him loosen just enough for him to take in a deep breath into his lungs. "What happened to me...?" He wheezed again as he tried to regain his breath.

Clare let go of him altogether, suddenly quite anxious as she looked at him with a painful look in her eyes. She sat down on the bedside and put her hand in Brants, squeezing it softly as the doctor Barton stood there, stunned into silence. She pulled his hand into hers and looked at him with sad eyes. "How much do you remember sweety, before the accident?"

Brant took a few deep breaths trying to recall what had happened. "Well, I remember I was talking to Jeff on the way to campus. We had our stuff in the boxes, and we were driving towards campus, he was about to tell me something, then nothing." He looked around the small waiting room, his face registering the faces all sitting in the waiting room. Mathew was sitting in a chair in the corner. Doctor Barton had begun furiously writing on his clipboard, and Clare was sitting at his side. He frowned when he noticed somebody was missing. Looking around the room again, he felt his frown deepen. "Wait, mom? Where's Jeff?"

Silence overtook the room, and Brant began to panic. His heart began to race, and his mind began to formulate all the possible ways that he could have died. "That's uh, kinda hard to explain..."

Tear's formed instantly in Brant's eyes as he tried to keep back the instant wave of nausea that threatened to come up. "No... No, he can't be dead!" Brant cried out, his tears beginning to fall as his vision began to blur. "He just can't be dead!"

Clare hugged him, smothering him again. "Honey, it's not what you think. He's not dead."

"H-He's not?" Brant asked, breathing heavily into the shoulder of her blue denim jacket as he felt his mind begin to slow.