twenty one

I glanced at the time, wiping the sweat from my forehead with my sleeve. We had ten more minuted before the game went to overtime, and that was not something that I wanted to see. Our team was running on low fuel, but we needed to score quickly if we wanted this to be over. I could see my coach on the sidelines, hands stuffed firmly in his pockets as he surveyed the situation. The women on the bench were all huddled up together, legs bobbing up and down as they awaited the result. Everyone was on edge, waiting to see who would come out on top. 

The opposing team's outside back took the throw-in, and I rushed to mark my man. Neither team had been able to string much together, mostly because the defense on both sides was some of the strongest in the league. I was playing left-wing, and there hadn't been many opportunities to do much because the ball never made it very far through the middle of the pitch. 

Finally, it looked like something might be happening for us. With four minutes left on the clock, Lucy tackled the other team's star forward and played the ball up to our center mid. She dribbled past a few people before reassessing the situation and playing it back. After the ball bounced around a bit in the back, it was passed back through the middle. Our holding mid held the ball for a second, waiting for Syd to make a run down the right side. Once she did, the ball was threaded down the field through the defenders. 

I was sprinting for the back post, hoping to get there in time to receive a cross. Unfortunately, a defender came in on Syd and played it out across the end line. We won a corner, but this gave the other team time to come back and mark up. 

Most of our team was gathered around the box, along with all of the women from the other team. A large center back shoved her elbow into my ribs as we jockeyed for space. I gave her a glare, but attempted to stay focused on the game. All of my teammates were looking over their shoulders, checking on who was making what run. The defense scrambled to keep up with our constant movement, but they were staying pretty tight to most people. All eyes were fixed on the ball in the corner. 

One of our defenders came up to take the kick, and as she started to run forward I sprinted towards the back post. The ball was soaring through the air, and I jumped up to reach it, seeing myself putting it the back of the net. Right when my head was about to connect, I felt a body slam into me. I felt a twinge of pain before everything went black. 

==============

Ok, I know its brief, but I promise that there is more coming soon! 

See ya then ; )