Chapter Thirty: The Letter, The Song, and The Attempt

Scott's POV

I open up the letter, and there's two pieces of paper. I decide to read the longest one first, the other looking like the song he was talking about.

Scott,

I guess it's time to tell you my feelings towards you. I wrote this last night, so my feelings are pretty recent. I love you with all my heart, and I hate that. You've been ignoring me. You haven't even noticed my depression ever since my mom died. I've lost thirty pounds, and you don't even seem to care. I've been cutting, but you haven't been here to hear my screams. You've been out with other guys. I'm just done. I'm done with you. I'm done with us. I'm done with Pentatonix. I'm done with L.A. I'm done with life, Scott. I can't do this anymore. I can't.

-Mitch.

No. He can't do this.

I call Kirstie.

"Hello?" she answers.

"Where's Mitch?"

"Umm.. I'm pretty sure he's at the lake. Why?"

"Fuck!"

"If you could choose your death, how would you wanna die?" I ask Mitch.

"Peaceful. Somewhere with water."

"You'd drown?"

"Yeah. To feel the water absorb your lungs. How about you?"

I prop myself up on one elbow and look into his eyes.

"I don't care. I just wanna die being yours."

I drive to the lake, but Mitch doesn't seem to be here yet. I wait in my car, and I start to read the song he wrote.

A light in the room. It was you who was standing there. Tried it was true as your glance met my stare. But your heart drifted off like the land split by sea. I tried to go, to follow, to kneel down at your feet. I'll run. I'll run. I'll run, run to you.

As I finish, the last part catches my attention. At first, I was thinking this was about me. Now, I'm not so sure.

I will break down the gates of heaven. A thousand angels stand waiting for me. Oh, take my heart, and I'll lay down my weapons. Break my shackles to set me free.

He's talking about killing himself.

I see Mitch walking. I can tell he was crying. I quietly walk out of my car as he takes off his jacket and his shoes. He jumps in the water, and I run to the end of the dock to see if he's come back up, but he hasn't. I jump in and pull him up. He's already started to drown. I carry him close to my car, now realizing how light he is, even when his clothes are. I call for an ambulance. I start to perform CPR, but and after a couple of repeats, he coughs up water and lays back down.

"Mitch?" he doesn't respond. "Mitch, please. Stay with me." A tear escapes my eye. "I can't do this without you."