Awkward/Cute Plane Meeting

It had been a whirlwind of a trip—late nights, long flights, and little sleep—so by the time you were boarding the final plane home, you were barely standing up straight. You’d launched your carryon in the overhead and shuffled to your seat without much thought, wishing the flight to go by quickly so you could be home. Nearly as soon as you’d taken your seat, your eyes shut. You’d only meant to rest them for a moment before getting comfortable, but given that one second, your exhaustion had taken over and you’d slipped off to a place where there were no crying babies or stale peanuts or five hour flights.

You were jostled awake by a brief moment of turbulence, only to find your cheek smashed against the stranger beside you, and your hand gripping their knee. As your consciousness regained, you quickly pulled your hand away and wiped the hair out of your face. “Oh my g—I’m—I’m sorry—” you stuttered, eyes blinking awake and mind becoming more aware of your surroundings.

“It’s fine,” he murmured a bit awkwardly. “Just a bit of turbulence,” he spoke, voice still low in response to your haze. You sniffed as you ran a few fingers under your eyes to erase the sleep-smeared mascara, embarrassed at your appearance and the fact that you’d been snuggling up to a complete stranger. “Since you’re awake now though…” he started slowly again, “Do you want some peanuts? I saved some for you when the attendant walked by last.” Your eyebrows quirked as you focused on the peanut-clutching hand he reached across his front towards you. Those rings… The jewelry crooked on his long fingers looked familiar-- you were sure you’d seen them somewhere before.

“So…” he broke the awkward silence, “Do you like peanuts or…” You quite obviously snapped out of your thoughts—thoughts still a bit clouded by sleep—and finally looked up at him.

“No no, sorry—” you shook your head, but cut yourself short when you realized just who you were looking at.

“Oh, okay… that’s fine,” he nodded nonchalantly and moved to stuff the peanuts in the seat pocket in front of him.

“No no--  I mean, yes, I do like peanuts. Thanks. I just, um, you’re…” you stared hard at him out the sides of yours eyes, making him give a quite chuckle.

“Well. Yes,” he affirmed. Harry Styles?!

“Are you sure I’m not still asleep? I feel like maybe I’m still asleep. I’m still asleep, aren’t I…” you thought out loud, first directed towards him, but trailing into self-assessment towards the end. Harry gave a small, silly smile.

“No, you’re definitely awake,” he sighed as if to sarcastically say, “I get this all the time.” His gentle joking made you give a slightly confused, but amused chuckle back.

“Right… well.. sorry about, um… sleeping… on you..” you mumbled out, shifting your eyes to maximize the awkward, making him laugh.

“Better be careful with the preposition there,” he giggled.

“Yeah, really,” you agreed.

“Ah, the missus is awake. Can I get you anything? Something to drink perhaps?” the flight attendant appeared beside your row. Harry looked over at you with raised eyebrows, clearly enjoying playing along with the flight attendant’s mistake.

“Anything for the missus?” he repeated, expression silly. A face like that would have made you crack up if you were watching an interview, but here in real life it was a bit too much for your brain to comprehend, especially after having it crop up so shockingly after being dead asleep. So instead, you raised your eyebrows to match his and nodded in exaggeration.

“Yes.. Yes! A water would be so lovely. Thank you.” As the flight attendant reached in her cart and handed you a mini bottled water over Harry, you whispered a quick, “What just happened?”