Chapter 18

I close the book and lean against the cushion, making it rock back a bit. Wow. That was really something else. I never knew that Midnight and Zero went through things like that. I look back at the cover of the book and run my fingers over it gently. I stop when I hear Michael and Luke talking in the hallway. "How is she? She's been in there for a while." I hear Michael ask Luke. I hear Luke sigh as I feel him move against the wall in the hallway. "I'm not sure. She keeps a straight face when she reads books I think. Her gaze seemed as if she learned something new but I'm not sure." I hear Luke reply. I sigh as I get out of the rocking chair with the book in my arms.

I walk to the door and open it, watching Luke and Michael look at me. "Hey Annabelle. Did you find the section about Midnight Zero?" Michael asks me. I nod as I look down at the book. "Yeah, I did. But there is another section about Mates that I want to know more about. Sadly, I don't have my own lycanthrope in my possession." I say as I look down at the shoes that Luke let me borrow. "What is the last name of your pack? My dad collected every pack book in case a wolf from a pack that he has came in asking to read about something in the book." Michael asks me. "My last name is Harvelle. I know my mom said there was two but the second one was kept with someone she knew." I tell him as I think about it. "Was your mom's name Ellen Harvelle?" Michael asks me. I look at him and nod. "Yeah, how did you know?" I ask him. "She came over here about 10 years back giving us the exact same book you had described to me in the kitchen earlier. I was surprised hearing about it but never knew she was your mother. When she came in, she said something about one of her kids coming here one day and asking for it so they can gather up information on something." Michael explains to me.

I tense and grip the book a bit. "What else did my mom say?" I ask him. I need to know what else she said. I need to know why she gave them the spare book we had. "She said she had a feeling I would meet one of her kids. She never said who I would meet or where I would meet them but that I just would." He replies. "That sounds like her. Reminds me I have to call her. I haven't called her since I started my last case." I say as I get my phone out. "Go ahead and call her, Annabelle. Luke and I will be in the kitchen if you need anything. And when you're done, I'll give your family lycanthrope back to you." He tells me. I nod and walk back into the yoga/relaxing room. I walk to the window and call mom. I put the phone to my ear and hear her pick up on the third ring. "Hello? Belle is that you?" I hear Mom say. "Yeah, it's me, Mom. I forgot to call you when I got done with the case. I finished it in time for Matt and Ash's 3-year anniversary for their passing. And you know I always try-" Mom cuts me off. "Sweetie, it's okay. Really it is. You had me worried that I had lost the last child I had left in this world." I hear her sad, cracked voice say. I get teary as I lean my head against the window. "I know, Mom. I didn't mean to make you worry. I always try to call or text you. But I haven't been able to keep up with it. I have problems down here of my own." I tell her. "Who's messing with my baby girl?" She asks me.

I sigh as I turn around and lean my back against the window. "It's more or less Sam and Dean Winchester. I found out the day I was going to drink away the pain of their anniversary that Dean is my mate. That and I also found out from an Alpha ally of ours that I didn't know about that my werewolf, Midnight? Yeah, she is part of the Midnight Zero duo. So that means that Dean is my mate for sure because of his werewolf, Zero." I explain to her. "Who told you that?" She replies. "Michael Clifford. He told me he was allies with us and you came here 10 years ago to give his father the spare lycanthrope. I know we keep secrets, Mom. I understand why we have to as well. But how come you didn't tell me about the allies we have?" I ask her. I hear her sigh as I watch the door open. I raise an eyebrow when I see Luke walk in. "I didn't want to tell you because some things are kept in the dark." She replies. "Alright Mom. I get that because I'm the same with you. But I have to go. Michael's mate walked in the room and he looks like he needs to ask me something." I tell her as Luke walks over to me slowly.

I hear her chuckle over the phone. "Alright sweetheart. Just shoot me a text or give me a call again soon. That way I know you're still alive." She replies. "Will do Mom. Talk to you soon." I say as I hang up. I put my phone away before looking at Luke. "What's up, Luke?" I ask him. "Michael said that he got a sniff of Dean when he went to get a car that he had to tow. Dean may be on his way over here." Luke explains to me. I sigh and run a hand through my hair. Nothing can be simple, can it? "Alright. I'll find a way to route him somewhere else. I just need my car." I tell him.

Luke nods and we walk out of the room. We walk back down the hall and towards the kitchen. I walk to the table and sit across from Michael as Luke sits next to him. Michael looks at me as he puts the book on the table. "Did Luke tell you?" Michael asks me. "Yeah he did while I was on the phone with my mom. Do you have my car ready?" I say as I put my hands on my lap. He chuckles and nods as he points out the kitchen.