part vi | ilum

They reached Ilum in a little under a day. The sun was yet to rise over the crystal caves, so they stayed in orbit until dawn. Before they landed it, Ben gave an overview.

"Luke told me that there was no place more sacred to the Jedi. The empire blasted the entrance that had been used for thousands of years, but Luke made another opening. We have one orbital rotation to find the crystal. The cave will ice over by the night and we'll have to wait until the sun comes up the get out. People have died in her during the night."

They donned a wardrobe for snow and readied themselves to go. "He who faces himself finds himself," Ben said. "That's what Luke told us before entering."

Ben leads them down to the hidden entrance where they stood until the thin sheet of ice melted. Rey smiled up at him and took his hand. They entered the cave, and Rey was immediately taken away. Literally. Ben was no longer with her. The ice sheets were gone. She stood in a corridor of the Death Star. It was too dark to see very far down the hall, but there was a blinking light at the end. Rey looked back, hoping she would see Ben, but no.

She took a deep breath and approached the blue twinkle. The closer and closer she got, the better she could see it. A small crystal, the size of a river pebble. It was clear but had a golden glow. Rey peered at it. It shouldn't be this easy.

When she reached out for the crystal, the gold faded to red. She moved her hand away, and the gold glow returned. What did that mean? She wondered. She moved to grab it again, ignoring the red. When her finger wrapped around it, gnarled, dead finger gripped her arm.

She looked up to see the Emperor looming over her. His cackle filled the corridor. She wrenched her arm from him, causing the cloak to fall off his head. And it wasn't her grandfather. The emperor was her. Her face was decaying and her hair had fallen out.

"Palpatine!" Emperor Rey cackled, holing the blood-Red crystal. "You were born of the Darkside. It is your destiny!"

Rey was shocked out of speech for what felt like forever, but she knew she needed that crystal. This was all in her head. "I am no Palpatine. The Darkside is dead, and so are you!" Rey growled as she grabbed the arm that was holding her crystal and wrenched it out of her hand. The blood from the crystal drained out and it's golden color retained. Rey smiled at it in her hand.

Ben turned around. Rey was no longer hear with him, but he expected that. Around him, there was nothing.

Ben, honey, control yourself, Leia's stern voice echoed.

You're too much like your mother, Han chided. Ben looked around for a source of the voices.

You're just like you're father, Leia complained.

He's got too much of his grandfather in him. Leia came again. Luke, I need help with Ben.

Too powerful! Voices chorused. His parents. His uncle. Lando.

Too unpredictable! Ben's breath got heavy. The voices began to crawl inside him as they did before.

I can't trust him!

Use your anger! Darth Vader said.

You are the reason your parents hate each other.

Luke is afraid of your power. Snoke growled. Flashbacks of Ben turn to the dark side rippled through his mind.

Raw, untamed power! Snoke praised. Luke didn't trust you!

Take that mask off, you don't need it. His father pleaded.

You're a monster! Rey scolded. Murderous snake.

He's using your power! Han came again. Ben found himself turning in circles. He wanted to say something, but an invisible hand covered his mouth. He wanted to fight it, but all his fears bound him in place.

Come home. We miss you. Han pleaded.

Why did you kill him?

I see you and Rey on the Throne. Palpatine's voice was louder than all others.

Some things are stronger than blood. Luke promised. He thought of Rey.

I have been every voice, you have ever heard, inside your head.

The life force of your bond, a dyad in the Force. A power like life itself. Unseen for generations. And now, the power of two restores the one true Emperor.

...so falls the last Skywalker. Ben fell to his knees. "Not fall... rise.."

With all the strength he could muster, he ripped free of the bonds of whispers and fears, rising as Skywalker. And he rose. The voices faded away and he was still in the cave.

He opened his hand to see a clear crystal in his hand. He had done it. He looked down the cave where Rey stood with her crystal, as clear as day. He laughed and ran to her, falling into her embrace.

Rey broke away and laughed to wiping the tears and sweat from their faces.

"We did it," Rey told him. Ben nodded.

"Let's get out of here."

"Let's."

And they exited the cave, kyber crystals in hands, feeling victorious.