Chapter 24

America POV:
"I have a meeting." I groaned and buried my head deeper in his chest. Inhaling his sweet and intoxicating scent. I wrapped my arms tighter around his neck as we sat on the edge of my bed. "You know I wouldn't leave leave didn't have to."
"Yeah I know. And I guess it's my turn to go talk to Kriss. Do you think she's calmer?"
"I hope so." After Maxon went to talk with Kriss he came to me and told me what happened. I felt bad about it, although she's always known we love each other so really she should of seen this coming. Regardless it's only right I go talk to her. I sigh and let go of him, standing up. Maxon follows suit. I must have a little pout on my face, because Maxon cups my face and makes sure I look into his eyes. "America. I love you. You don't have to go talk to her if you don't want to. You can go spend the day with Celeste if you want to." His offer sounds so appealing. I haven't really talked with Celeste since we got here. That was already 2 days ago. But if Maxon went to talk to her, so will I. "I know, but I still feel like I must." He nods at me. "Okay."
Maxon pulls my face to him. For a small peck. I smiled. Maxon could do anything, him breathing alone makes me feel better. He lets go of my face holding my hand instead.
"Go, you'll be late." I say not wanting Maxon to lack in his job. Especially for me to be the reason. We walk to the door and I swing it open. He begins to walk out but then turns to face me. "Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" I smiled at his stupid comment. "Once or twice, now hurry." I say shoving him out the door.
"I'll see you when your done." With that I close the door. I hear him laugh a little and start walking. I go to the bathroom to freshen my face with some rose water. I hope Kriss isn't too upset. I sigh prepared for the worst regardless. I know I'd be broken if I married Maxon and now he was getting taken away from me. I was broken. Part of me still is. I crave alcohol at the most minor inconveniences. When Kriss saw Maxon and I kissing in the hall, I wanted wine. Tequila, vodka, anything. I'm better now. Much better. But I haven't forgotten what happened and what I went through. The pain, and sadness I felt. I close my eyes trying to ignore these memories. I can think about this at night, when I have nothing to do. I walk out the bathroom. I swing the door open that leads to the hall, and standing in the other side is Celeste. Ready to knock.
"Oh, hey Ames." She said and walked in.
"Hey Celeste how are you?"
"Good, I heard about your smooches with Maxon so I had to come talk to you."
"How did you hear about that?"
"Well when I was with a guard doing... um-"
"Save the details." She simply grinned. Anyone else would of blushed, embarrassed. Not Celeste though. "We were interrupted by his roommate with the hot gossip."
"Aghh." I said burying my face in my hands. This is not what we want circling the palace. Not before we announce it. "As long as the guests from the ball don't hear about this, you'll be fine." The ball! With everything that's happened I forgot about the ball.
"I had completely forgot about the ball." Celeste laughed.
"It's fine as long as you show up and sing." I nod.
"Well I should go talk to Kriss now." Celeste's eyes get really wide. "What?!" I stare blinkly at her, confused by her response.
"Your going to go talk with her? Why, there's no need. Kriss should of expected this."
"It's only right I go talk with her." She heavily sighed.
"America you've suffered, you truly love Maxon, Kriss will get over it. Besides she's annoying and dramatic. Just remember how she acted during the selection." She said with finality. "Yeah I know but still, Maxon went to talk with her so it's only right I do too." Celeste rolled her eyes. "Exactly he already talked to her, you don't need to."
I walked around her and opened the door again.
"Feel free to stay, I'll be back soon."
"Okay then."
"Sorry we haven't really seen eachother since we got here, let's spend the day together when I get back."
"Okay, and good luck." I smiled and left. As I walked I felt maids and guards eyes on me. Word had definitely gotten out. If this gets around at the ball, it could mess everything up. I'll have to tell Maxon. I knock firmly at her door. "Come in." She says softly. I opened the door and stepped inside. Kriss was sitting at her vanity powdering her face. She looked at me through the mirror. She set her brush down and turned to face me. "Nice to see your face without your tongue down my husbands throat."
"Look Kriss I came to apologize." She stood up abruptly at my statement.
"You think an apology will fix everything. My husband cheating on me with you. You. I considered you to be my friend and you do this to me."
"I know and I'm sorry." She made a noise somewhere between a laugh and sad sigh.
"What's done is done. I'm in love with him and now we're getting a divorce. By the way, how far did you two go?" I looked at her straight in the eye.
"Do you really think so low of me as to think I'd sleep with a married man." She shoot me a glare. "Well I didn't think you'd steal my husband, now I don't know what to think of you." It took everything in me to not roll my eyes at her.
"Well no we didn't sleep together, all we've done is kiss." Kriss then arched her perfectly shaped brow. And grinned. "I believe you," It was my turn to question her behavior.
"When he had this," She said with her hand waving around her body. "Inches away, why would he want you." She narrowed her eyes at me and continued. "Because guess what America, Maxon might love you or whatever, but he's been married for me since you left. He's a guy, with needs. Which I can perfectly give him. I know your not so stupid as to think we've never slept together. Which we do, constantly. Just last night he was calling my name." I narrowed my eyes at her. While trying to not show her how angers and jealous her words were making me.
"And I say we both enjoy our nights together. At least that's what his actions and nosies tell me. Oh he's just so good. I'm not trying to make you jealous just telling you the truth." She finished with a smile.
"Oh I'm not jealous, not when I had his first kiss, and I was his first time too." Her smile flattered. "W-what?" I gave her a fake pout. "Oh, he didn't tell you?" I say with false surprise dripping in my voice. "Yeah we had sex the night before I left for Coralina and the night before the choosing. So I know how he is in bed." I finished with a smile. Kriss' lips set in a firm line. And she kept her eyes narrow, ready to cut me with her stare. "That's breaking the rules of the selection, I'm sure the king and queen will be interested to know that." Kriss said threatening. I laughed. "They both already know."
"Don't lie America, they wouldnt be okay with it."
"If you don't believe me, then you can ask them yourself." I said and took a few steps forward. "You say Maxon is good in bed, I know he is, but clearly you aren't. Because he's trading you for me, and of course 's he loves me and I love him. So why wouldn't he." I turn and walk back to the door. Screw the apology. Kriss was a bitch to me, so I'll be one to her too. I open the door and before walking out I turn to Kriss one last time.
"Have a good day." I say with a bitchy smile and slam the door. Ugh! I'm so mad I don't know what to do. I start walking to my room quickly. I again get weird looks by the staff but I couldn't care less. I soon reach my room with out any interruptions.
I walk in slamming the door. Celeste looks at me questioningly. She puts down her phone and moves from laying on her stomach to sitting crisscross applesauce. She patted the spot next to her on the bed telling me to join her. I do. I lay my head on a pillow and sigh. "What happened?"
"Well when I walked in I apologized, she ignored me and went telling me how an apology won't fix any thing, blah blah blah. I was fine with that. I expected that. But then she had the audacity to ask if I slept with him. I said no, so she happily continued to say how her and Maxon constantly sleep together, and how he's good in bed. And the nosies he makes. Just ugh! Stupid bitch."
"So what did you tell her."
"..... I told her when we had sex during the selection. So I know he's good in bed."
Celeste flat out laughed. "I can just imagine her face!!" I laughed a little too.
"It was funny." Celeste laughed for a while and when she calmed down she continued.
"Do you think Kriss was lying, you know about constantly fucking Maxon." I smacked her. "Don't start it like that!" I said disgusted by the thought of them together again. She laughed at my reaction. I crossed my arms and rested my head on top. Sighing. "Well, he said they only did it twice in past."
"See, Kriss was just lying trying to make you jealous because she's jealous."
"Yeah probably..."
"Talk to Maxon about it."
"I will." She smiled. "Can we talk about something else now, catch up on the last two days and just talk." I said.
'I love that idea!"
So we did. We sat and talked. For a moment it was like we were back in our apartment. We laughed and gossiped. We ordered dinner in my room. It was just what I needed to relax. Just two best friends bonding.

A/N ~ I hope you liked the chapter! Comment your favorite part!! Also go check out my other story 'Princess America' 1842 words!!!!
Question of the day: What's your favorite book from the series? Mines 'the One'
Xoxo ~ Mrs. Schreave 💋