Chapter 5: 'Paws

Mosskit's POV:

I can't believe it! I'm going to become a 'paw today! I also can't wait to start training! My parents will be proud! I'm here now in the nursery waiting for my father to come and take me for the ceremony. My mother has been a bit worried that she won't be able to keep eyes on me when I move out of the nursery. But my father had reassured her saying, "It's okay, Moonwhisper. She'll be fine. Think of the clanmates who will watch over her. Also, she's growing older. I bet she can take care of herself as well," I am very thankful for him!

My mother started to lick my pelt. "Hey!" I squealed.

"You need to be clean before you face the clan, dear." My mother insisted. Then I let her groom my fur. It wasn't long before my father came and we got ready. 

Pepperpaw and his littermates have been boasting for moons! And now, it's finally my chance! I'll try to train as fast as I can! They would be jealous if I got my warrior name before them! But... I guess that would be impossible because they're older than me and they obviously learned more.

"Come on, Mosskit. The clan's waiting for you," My father mewed gently. Then my mother stared with fear in her eyes. Then my father touched his nose to her muzzle. "It's okay. Even I'll be there to keep her safe," He reassured her. "Moonwhisper, you have to learn to trust your clanmates."

"Okay, and of course I trust them." She relaxed. "It's just that I'm afraid, Grayheart."

"Then get rid of your fears," He nodded before leading me out of the den. "Mosskit."

"Yes?" I asked him as we walked out.

"If you're shy, just remember that they are your clanmates, and they would appreciate you as much as I do." 

"Of course," I quickly mewed shaking my paws while looking down. Then I sat by the ledge as my father sat with the crowd. I looked up at Firestar.

"For today's ceremony, one kit will become an apprentice." The clan leader began.

"Did you hear that? One kit!" I heard Pepperpaw whisper as he chuckled with his littermates.

Then I glared at him, giving him the "don't you dare underestimate me" look before looking back at Firestar.

"Mosskit, step forward." He kindly mewed as I took a step towards him. "Mosskit, from this day forward 'til you receive your warrior name, you'll be known as Mosspaw. And your mentor will be Blackstripe." Then Blackstripe padded towards me to rest his muzzle on my head before letting go.

"I'll train you well," He whispered.

"And I'll practice well!" I mewed back.

"Mosspaw! Mosspaw!" The clan congratulated.

But the only cat who seems to be silent is Pepperpaw. He growled at his littermates as they cheered as well. But Hornetpaw and Wasppaw didn't listen. They didn't stop. The Pepperpaw turned around, his thoughts clearly elsewhere. His siblings cheered as Tigerwing and Whitestripe yowled. But when the clan finally calmed, Firestar dismissed the meeting as he leaped down from the Highledge.

Then my mother and father padded towards me to congratualate. "We're so proud of you," My mother mewed. I searched her gaze and found some hurt in there. I'm sorry mother, But you're living in a clan. It's part of life. Let me become spprenticed whether you like it or not! But I kept the words inside in case if they are careless.

"Yes, we are." Grayheart, my father, mewed as he rested his muzzle for a heartbeat over my head. 

"Thank you," I answered as they padded over to the warriors' den together. Then I turned to my mentor. "So, what now?"

"Now you can rest a bit. Make sure to come to me at dusk so we can explore the territory. You can't do anything around here without knowing where we live first." Blackstripe exclaimed.

"Okay!" I mewed excitedly.