Chapter 12: Return

Grayheart's POV:

"F-F-Father?" My eyes widened. Then I sprang up and nuzzled him. "Father! You're home!"

"Oh, Grayheart! I missed you so much. When I saw you collapsing in the den, I had no choice but to save you." Liontail mewed happily. Then he lowered his  gaze. "I... I... Didn't want you to die. We've already lost..." I tear ran down his cheek.

"Jaymoon, I know." I replied. "But... What happened back at the mountains with Hawk's Claw? We saw his body on the floor as if a cat had slaughtered him."

"When we fell off the cliff, we were lucky we didn't die. I only got injured real bad on the leg though, Hawk's Claw didn't because he was naturally stronger than me. Then he challenged me,"

Flashback:-

"Think you have defeated me yet again, eh?" Hawk's Claw challenged.

"I'll defeat you for as long as I can." Liontail unsheathed his claws.

"And how long is that, exactly?" The new Stoneteller questioned.

"Our conversation 'til now!" Liontail growled as he leaped and formed a huge killing bite on Hawk's Claw's neck and when his brother was breathing shallow, Liontail finished him off with a blow across the flesh. Then Liontail padded on, back facing his brother's body as he looked back. "I've killed my own brother," Then he shook his head rapidly. "He deserved it." Then he dashed into the bushes to not be seen.

End of Flashback:-

"I will never regret killing him. Besides, I don't think Sky Dawn will like seeing him." Liontail mewed.

I tilted my head. "So, Sky Dawn's your--"

"My mother, yes. She was beautiful, but she passed during an accident." My father looked down and let his tears fall. 

I tried to change the subject. "If you were alive... Why didn't you come back earlier?"

"I... I couldn't... Come here because..." His gaze caught my eye, then he looked away. "I wanted you guys to believe that I was dead a while longer,"

"But... Why?"

"Reasons... But that doesn't matter, as long as I'm here now." He stretched his neck forward and nuzzled me. I rapidly pulled back. "Grayheart?"

I bared my teeth. "You were alive... And you never came back while I was worried!?"

"Grayheart... Don't be too upset. I'm back, aren't I? I was worried about you too," Liontail took a step forward.

"If you were worried... Then why didn't you come back for us?!" I spoke harshly. "A real father would want his sons to be happy, and not stuck in their dens weeping like kits!"

"I... I'm sorry..." Liontail's ears flattened in guilt.

"No, you're not! If you really are, you wouldn't have left us!"

"Grayheart... Please forgive me..." He kept staring down at his paws.

"I can't at this rate!" I tried to get up, but I staggered back down. I've forgotten that I was still bleeding. "You're my father, but I just wish you could be a better one."

"Aren't I already? I just saved you from that den, saved you before you died, and tried to help your leg heal. And then you start complaining about what I should've done during something that already happened?! Where's your common sense, son? Have I raised you correctly?"

That statement kept me silent. The silence made me realize how much my leg hurts. I winced and stared in my father's eyes. "So... When are we going back?"