It lies not in our power to love or hate

Anne had been studying writing for film and television in Toronto Film School for three months, one week and three days. Charlie Sloane, who had been studying video game design and animation in the same college, was her boyfriend for the past two months and four days. She didn't know how long she had been living with Ruby and Jane, who went to University of Toronto, but it could be said that it was about four moths or so. Diana had been studying in the U of T too, but she lived with Jerry, who agreed to move in with her after a long summer of reconciliation.

Anne was sleeping right now, having the most wonderful dream, she was a princess in a white dress, hosting a ball for her subjects. In the dream she dances with a prince whose face she couldn't see, but she figured it was Charlie. They danced and twirled until Anne's alarm rang off. Her icy blue eyes opened wide, the auburn mane of hair was scattered on her pillow and the upcoming sun slowly reaching in from the window gifted her with joy. She was a fan of waking up early, seeing the rising sun and enjoying all the hours that she could, no time to lose, but today she wished she could've stayed in that dream just a little longer. She got up, tying her hair back and lazily stumbling to the kitchen to make some coffee. Her apartment was nice, it was in a big city with two of her best friends and they had kind neighbors. Ruby and Jane shared a room, because they figured Anne needed one for herself in case Charlie ever payed any visits, but the kitchen was obviously shared space, so often Anne would find dirty noodle dishes that Ruby — the poor soul had insomnia — had had on the night before. She placed the bowl on the sink and turned on the coffee machine, sitting down in front of the window watching the sun come up. The coffee machine dinged and she grabbed an energy bar, she was too lazy to cook that particular Thursday.

An hour later and she was dressed and ready, meeting Jane and Ruby in the kitchen before she left. She had to take the bus to school, since the apartment was kind of close to the U of T, but far enough from her school.

"Good Morning Darlings!"

Ruby was sitting on the floor with a mug on hands, her long golden locks everywhere.

"Shut up..."

"Someone had a long night, huh?"

"Oh she did" Jane's voice was raspy "she was up all night long, and singing. So if you ask me, I also had a long night."

"It helps me calm down!"

"And it helps me stay up..."

"Sleep in the couch then!"

"Hey, both of you! Just drink your coffees, stay in silence and talk after you're reasoning like human beings. I gotta go. See you later!"

"See you." They both shouted as Anne ran out the door.

She ran to the bus stop and put on headphones. Ode to Viceroy, Mac DeMarco, like the indie bitch she was. Lost in her thoughts, she could already imagine a story about a viceroy butterfly, maybe a children's movie or an indie animation about a butterfly's day in a city, admiring the grandiosity of it.

She left the bus with the viceroy on her mind still, the orange in her wings resembled her own hair, and the flying freedom of theirs was how Anne's mind felt too.

"Hey babe!" She didn't see Charlie coming to hug her, but didn't resist it still. He was so nice to her, always kind and someone safe.

"Hi Charlie. How you doing?"

"Better now..." Anne smiled, she loved cheesiness, but for some reason it felt like it didn't fit Charlie quite right, but it was sweet still "Any way, I thought tomorrow we could go to the Warehouse, I'm inviting everyone from good old Avonlea High to come, what do you think?"

"Sounds good, pretty good! I could get to see Diana and Jerry, which I haven't seen in ages. That was a great idea Charlie, I loved it.." I looked at my phone, five minutes to class "...but I gotta go, see you later!"I kissed him on the cheek and waved goodbye.

...

Later in the day, classes were over and Charlie and I were taking the bus to the apartment. The girls wouldn't be back for two hours, we had agreed the apartment would be mine on Thursday afternoons so me and Charlie could have alone time, whatever that meant.

"So..." I started "Who are you thinking of inviting?"

"Well, obviously you—"

"Duh." I smiled.

"Jane and Ruby, Moody, Diana and Jerry..."

"Okay, good."

"I'm thinking Josie too if she can get here from Ottawa..."

"I'll invite Cole too, that's okay right?"

"Yeah sure. Also, I'm positive Gilbert and Winnie will come."

My mind sparked at his name and got confused with the other one. "Who's Winnie?"

"Oh, his Girlfriend, she's British, goes to the Royal Conservatory, really nice."

"Oh okay, I'm sure I'll love her." I put on a smile "That is about it, right?"

"Yeah..." Charlie kissed me "Now we can get to more interesting stuff, right?"

I kissed him too, but pulled back in a second, messing his hair and kissing him in the forehead.

"Not today honey, I got homework and I really want to sleep tonight."

"But..."

"Nah-ah-ah, no 'buts'."

"Fine... but I won't leave your side!"

"That's fine, but don't you have stuff to do?"

"Oh baby" He lifted me from the floor and shook me, quickly putting me back on the floor "you talk like you don't know me, I am the king of procrastination, the duke of last-minute projects, emperor of all-nighters!"

"You know that those are all different hierarchies, right?"

"You got my point. I'm gonna make us some coffee."

"I'll get my stuff."

We spent the afternoon in silence, some eventual conversation and kisses, a couple of naps too. When Ruby and Jane got home they woke us up from one of those.

"Good Morning, Lovebirds!" Jane shouted.

"Rise and Shine!" Ruby mimicked that one weird Kylie Jenner thing.

I opened my eyes and woke Charlie up. "Morning, ladies..."

"Morning Anne! Charlie, you are staying for dinner, we're having shepherds pie, family recipe." Ruby was static, and I couldn't wait to know why.

"Why so happy?"

"Well, I'm going out with Moody on Saturday, your girl is thrilled!"

"That's awesome." Charlie spoke "Hey, me and Anne were thinking of going to the Warehouse tomorrow with everyone from high school, you guys in?"

Jane squealed and jumped, Ruby smiled as widely as one could.

"Obviously!" Jane hugged Charlie.

"I mean, does a three legged dog swim in circles?"

"Wait, what?" I did not get that

"Yes, I'm in!"

"Great!" Charlie got my hand "Now, are we making that shepherds pie or not?"