Chapter 1

Emma's POV

I jolted awake in my bed. My entire body was covered in sweat. I was breathing heavily. It was the same recurring nightmare that kept haunting me every single night.

I kept trying to figure out who the man is at the top of the stairs was but to no avail. I grabbed the bottle of water next to my bed and gulped it all down. I was parched. It felt as though I had run a marathon.

Shit!

I lept out of bed and grabbed my phone on my nightstand.

"Omg, I'm late!", I screeched and ran to my bathroom to have a quick shower.

Once out of the shower, I hurriedly pulled my long brown hair into a ponytail and put on a pink blouse and a pencil skirt.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My skin was pale as usual and I contemplated putting on some makeup.

But, there was no time left. I had to hurry. I left home as fast as I could and hired a cab for myself. My stomach growled furiously. I had no choice but to wait till lunch to eat something.

As I got in to the cab, I already dreaded my decision to go to work.

He's going to kill me!

I sighed heavily and surrendured myself to fate.

Soon, we arrived at Anders Cooperation, the place where I worked at. I paid the driver and scrambled out of the cab as fast as I could.

"Miss, your change?", the driver called out for me.

"Keep it!", I yelled as I ran towards the lobby of the building.

As I entered the building, there were already so many people waiting to get inside the elevators.

Great!

I cursed myself for waking up late and managed to squeeze myself into an already packed elevator. My office was located right at the top of the building. One by one, people began to leave the elevator and I finally had some room to breathe.

It wasn't long before the elevator stopped at the last floor.

Here goes nothing...

I rushed out and opened the huge glass door to my office. Everyone in their cubicles lifted their head up to see me. This was an everyday occurrence for me. Whenever I entered the office or walked past them, they would whisper and giggle under their breath. I had gotten used to their vicious gazes and mocking laughs. I ignored them and walked straight ahead to the CEO's room. I knocked on the glass door, waiting for his approval to go in.

"Come in.", his deep voice rang loud and clear.

I stepped in quietly and there he was seated at his desk.

David Anders was impeccably dressed in a dark blue suit. His arm muscles protuded through the fabric of his suit. His thick tousled black hair was neatly styled as usual. His chiselled jaw was tense and tight as his dark brown eyes scrutinised the documents in his hands. I couldn't peel my eyes away from him. That was the effect David had on people...especially women. He was undoubtely attractive and easy on the eyes.