Chapter 12

Emma’s POV

"Dating?”, David stared at me with an incredulous expression on his face.

“Yes, I’m dating.”, I gritted my teeth, trying as hard as I could to suppress my anger.

He burst into laughter when he heard my words. I was outraged and infuriated that he had the audacity to laugh at me. 

I knew I was blatantly lying to him about dating someone. But, I couldn’t believe he was ridiculing me.

“What’s so funny about that?”, I crossed my arms and glared at him defensively.

“It is funny indeed that someone would even want to date you.”, he snorted arrogantly.

This a**hole!

My blood was boiling and my temper flared uncontrollably.

However, I decided to act calm and composed instead, as displaying my anger would only show how much he irked me and how easily he could get under my skin. I didn’t want to give him such satisfaction at any cost.

“Oh really? Well, I guess you’re wrong then because someone knows my worth and wants to be with me.”, I shrugged and replied nonchalantly.

In an instant, his face fell and he became serious.

“Are you actually telling the truth?”, his voice dropped dangerously low and deep.

“Yes I am! Why do you even care if I’m dating anyone? It’s none of your goddamn business! And by the way, weren’t you the one encouraging me to date from the beginning of this marriage?”, I lashed out at him, despite my valiant effort to remain calm.

“It is my business when it involves my name and reputation! You should have at least told me earlier if you’re dating someone. I don’t want anyone finding about this, especially if you aren’t careful or discreet.”, he growled.

“It’s always about you, isn’t it? So, what about me then? I don’t matter at all? I don’t recall you sharing with me about who you’re seeing either. Besides, I’m not the one who hasn’t been careful or discreet. It’s you who has been screwing your new secretary and flirting with her at work. I’m sure the entire office will catch up on what's going on sooner or later.”, I scoffed sarcastically.

“I’m not talking about me here!” he snarled aggressively.

“Fine! If you aren't comfortable talking about what you’re doing, then you shouldn’t question about what I'm doing with my life. I will date and do whatever I want to. I don't wish to repeat myself again. Just stay the hell out of my business!", I retorted back.

"Who is he?", he threatened.

Now, it was my turn to burst into full blown laughter.

"Oh my god...what are you going to do? Stalk him? Threaten him to never see me again... Jeez…", I chortled.

"You know me well and that is exactly what I intend to do.", he stepped towards me menacingly and I backed away in apprehension.

"You are insane! Why would you even think of doing that? Have I ever questioned you when you went around sleeping with half the women in the city? You were the one who gave me the freedom to date if I wanted to in this marriage. So why can't I date then? Why are you even giving so much importance to my love life when you barely even cared about me a while back? You're confusing me...", I was appalled to think that David would stoop down to such a low level.