Chapter 2

Emma's POV

It was already noon by the time I finished all the work given by David.

He had the habit of piling on additional work the moment he knew I had cleared my previous ones.

So, I always pretended to not have finished my work or drag them till the end of the work day.

I know that makes me sound lazy and doesn't make me a good employee but why should I be one when I'm working for an egoistical maniac?

I would have been extremely hardworking and dedicated if the CEO was still David's father. He had stepped down as CEO the year before I joined as an intern.

Given the nature of our marriage, I rarely attended family events or David made it a point to exclude me from them. It was only on rare occassions like their annual Christmas party where I was actually invited.

And, that was only because David and I had to uphold our facade of being a loving couple and not raise any suspicions among the Anders' relatives and guests. 

It was also the only time I could meet and spend time with my in-laws. Peter Anders, David's father and ex-CEO of Anders Cooperation was Caucasian while Anjali Anders, David's mom was Indian. They had fallen in love with each other while studying in college together. They have been inseperable since then. As a couple, they complimented each other beautifully and David was a perfect resemblence of both of them. I could see that he had inherited his good looks from his mixed heritage.

My father-in-law was humble, kind and treated those around with him with great respect. He treated me the same as well.

However, that was not the case with my mother-in-law. It was clear that she despised me. She blamed me for everything that happened with the leaked pictures to our sham marriage. She even accused me of setting up the entire plan so that I could marry David for his wealth as he was their only child and would inherit all their fortune.

I almost broke down in tears when she downright accused me of orchestrating such a plan infront of David and his father. Of course, David's father being a gentleman calmed down his wife while David did nothing to defend me.

Ever since then, I had been terrified of visiting my in-laws, for fear of being insulted and confronted by my mother-in-law. But, she was always in contact with David to find out if I was trying to come up with some devious plan to seduce him and inherit his wealth. It was evident in the way he would shoot me a disgusted look when he was on the phone with her. If only I could make her believe that I had no such intention. How I wished I could have done things differently that night. I would have been free and living my life happily...

At that moment, my desk phone rang. I sighed inwardly. I picked up the phone.

"Yes David?", I answered

"What happened to our standard greeting? You're supposed to do that when you answer each call.", David chided me.

"Fine. Good morning. Anders Cooperation. Emma speaking. How can I help you?", I sighed and put on a fake polite voice for him.

"That's more like it. Come to my room now. I have a new assignment for you.", he ordered and ended the call before I could say anything.

I groaned loudly, earning concerned and disgruntled looks from my colleagues.

Can he give me a break?!