24) freckled fairy

nighttime came.

Anne had dreaded it for the rest of the day. she knew one way or another they would be sleeping together in that bed. she knew this as she would never let Gilbert sleep on the sofa let alone the floor as she would feel super guilty and she knows that there's no way Gilbert would think about taking the bed for himself.

she was nervous just thinking about it.

"are you ready to sleep my dearest freckled fairy?" Gilbert teased as he gestured to the bedroom with an earnest smile on his face, a glint of cheekiness in his hazel eyes.

Anne rolled her eyes, a grin tugging at her lips, as she walked towards the bedroom.

they both clambered into the bed. the tension was so thick you couldn't even cut it with a bread knife.

"soooooo..." Anne attempted to begin conversation as awkwardly staring at the bedroom ceiling wasn't going to get them anywhere.

"so..." Gilbert looked at Anne as he saw her bite her lips in nervousness, he stifled a laugh at her nerves.

suddenly he noticed she was shivering.

he took of his jacket he was wearing for extra warmth and gently put it over her. she felt his cold hand touch her arm as she turned towards him.

"you look like a icicle carrots, i couldn't just let you freeze to death. then who will i compliment?"

Anne chuckled at his annoying witty humour, a light blush scattering on her cheeks.

"thanks Gilbert." she smiled warmly as they both turned over and stared at one another.

they gazed into one another's eyes and they both felt sparks flying between them.

Gilbert reaches out and held Annes hand, conjoining them. they both smiled and blushed.

"can....i hug you...." Anne mumbled quickly in a furious embarrassment.

Gilbert was screaming internally, but he smiled casually on the outside.

"since you wish to be so close to me carrots, i will happily oblige." he winked as she rolled her eyes.

happily, Gilbert opened his arms as she shuffled towards him. soon they were interlocked in a warm embrace.

Anne happily indulged in Gilbert's scent of pine cones and mint as he snuggled into her, smelling fresh flowers and salty river water.

they wouldn't never admit it but they both wished to sleep like this, every night.