You Choose Mike

They all stared at you.

"I, uh..." you started, rubbing the back of your neck. "Look..." You tentatively looked between each of the boys, but your gaze lingered on Mike.

Meeting eyes, you smiled. He looked shocked at first, but then gave a big toothy grin.

"I'll go out with you, Mike," you decided.

He ran up to you and swept you off your feet, swinging you around. "LET'S GO, FUCKERS!" he yelled.

"Tch," Vincent expressed his disappointment. "It's alright, I'll just take your old girl."

Mike let go of you (you glared at him for dropping you) and turned to Vincent. "The fuck you will!" Mike yelled again. "You fuck everything that moves!"

"And I'm gonna fuck your ex!"

As you tried to break up the altercation between Mike and Vincent, Jeremy and Fritz sadly hugged.

Fritz rested his chin on Jeremy's shoulder. "Maybe it's better that neither of us got with (Y/N), man."

"Y-yeah," Jeremy agreed. "I guess now we-- we won't have to be jealous of ea-each other."

"Bros before hoes, homedog." Fritz pulled back and fist-bumped Jeremy.

When you were able to stop Mike from throwing hands, Vincent stepped towards the exit and crossed his arms. "I hate you, Michael Schmidt."

"You too, Vincent Alfonso." Mike pointed an accusing finger. "Maybe you're not a child murderer after all, but you're still dickhole."

Vincent sighed and pushed the door open. "I'll see you later, (Y/N). Let's keep in touch." He left and the door swung shut behind him.

"You fools sure are eccentric," Fritz said.

-----

"Hey, what about this?" Mike tapped an advertisement with the tip of marker, leaving behind a spot of red ink.

You looked at the newspaper ad he was pointing to.

NOW HIRING, it said.

Looking for employees to work at Chuck E. Cheese. No degree required. Job description includes...

You shot Mike a dubious look and he laughed. "I was just joking! Come on."

You were both job hunting, because quite honestly, neither of you wanted anything to do with that godforsaken pizzeria anymore. The mystery was solved. No need to stick around.

Since you agreed to go out with Mike, he officially broke things off with Doll. From what you heard, she didn't actually mind too much. Which was good, because it left Mike free for you to take.

Mike put an elbow on the table and propped his chin up with his hand. "God, this is tough. Everything kinda sucks."

You nodded your agreement. Nothing was really jumping out at you.

Mike sighed, capped his marker, and tossed the newspaper into the bin. "We'll have to look elsewhere." He discarded the marker onto the tabletop and leaned back in his chair, hands intertwined behind his head. "So... In the meantime, whaddya wanna do?"

You pondered for a moment. You told Mike you knew what you wanted to do.

---

Ten minutes later, you pulled up to the cemetery.

"Damn..." Mike muttered. He had his hand on the door handle like he was about to open it, but he made no move to. He just stared at the gravestones through the windshield.

He sighed and got out, bouquet of flowers in hand.

You visited the dead children. Each one received a flower.

When the time came, you followed Mike along the invisible path he knew so well, mapped into his mind from all the times he's gone the same way. You stopped in front of the grave.

Around and atop the stone sat toys, flowers, and drawings, wilted and dirty from time. Mike pulled a fresh flower out of the bouquet and rested it against the grave, right by her name.

Abigail Schmidt. Taken too soon.

"This won't be the last time I leave a flower," Mike whispered. "But I know you're in a better place now, at least."

You knew Mike wasn't talking to you.

By the time you returned to the car, dusk was upon you.

"That kind of bummed me out," Mike admitted.

You apologized. You wanted to visit their resting places.

"It's alright. It's not like I'm any stranger to being bummed."

Mike faced straight ahead in his seat, but he glanced at you from the corner of his eye.

"Thanks for going on this journey with me," he said melancholily. "You really helped me. A lot."

You turned to look at him, and he did the same.

You both leaned forward over the center console and your foreheads touched.

You were glad you had the privilege to be with him along the way.

You kissed, and that was that.

THE END

(Check out my author's note! :3)