8, obstacles

After we have told the others about the illness in the book that Michael has, we sit down on the ground around Michael. We can only hope the water we'd drunk hadn't been infected.

But the moment I feel my body heaten and my sight become blurry, I realise I'm a dead man soon. The others haven't had any signs or symptoms yet, and they quickly gather around me. Terry J puts a hand on my shoulder. "You're going to be fine, just like Mike", He says. I blink with my eyes a few times, confused. Michael isn't okay at all! I try to stand up but all I'm able to do is fall down.

"There wasn't anything in the book about dying, was there? It's only a phase of sickness, then you're alright again." Eric puts a hand on my forehead and seems to startle.. "But till then, you're bloody not alright."

The last thing I notice before I sink away in the rarely known world of unconsciousness is that he stands up and shouts something to the people that had been following us from the castle. Just after my eyes fall shut, I hear the sound of horses gallop away.

I open my eyes slowly. I still don't see anything, so I blink a few times. Then all the memories come back and I gasp. What if that strange illness caused by polluted water could also make you blind? I sit up, carefully bringing my hand to my right eye. "Hello?" I ask. I hear someone or something move. "Oh, finally." Someone says. I think it's Michael. "Am I blind?" I ask nervously. Michael laughs. "No, John. It's night, that's why you can't see anything."

I sigh with relief and shake my head. "What about the others?" I ask curiously. Michael sighs. "Still unconscious. Apparently we all drank the water. But I can tell you, after you've been unconscious, there's nothing wrong with you anymore. I woke up shortly after you fainted, and then Terry G was still conscious and it wasn't dark yet. I think they'll wake up in a short time."

I feel around me and soon find a head, and an arm. They are lying on the ground, so it can't be Michael. "Where exactly are you, actually?" I ask, still not used to the darkness. "On your left. Next to you is lying Eric, and next to him am I." Says Michael.

"And how is Ewic? And the other horses?" I can only hope they haven't drunk from the water too. "I don't know. They've been quite calm, but I don't know how they'll react to the water or when or if they will faint too." Michael answers. Then I hear a moan. "Terry J?" I ask. "Where am I?" I hear him say. "It's night. You've just woke up from unconsciousness caused by the water, remember?" Michael explains. "Oh. And only... Michael and John? It's you, right? Only you two are awake?" Terry J asks. "Yes." I say.

"I could use a bit of food right now..." Terry J complains softly. "Me too, but I'm afraid we'll have to wait till the sun shows up." I respond, sighing. How can this expedition go so bad already? What has the future planned for us?