Thirty One

It's the day

It's the day.

It's October 31st.

It's Hal's birthday.

We had spent the day before apart because Hal had a meeting with an investor who was being a pain and not the good kind. Thankfully.

"Happy birthday to you." I sang once Hal picked up the phone. "Happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you."

Hal let out a low chuckle. "Thank you, darling."

"How old are you now?" I sang, I couldn't help but smile at the small laugh that Hal let out.

"Darling, you know how old I am."

"Alright grumpy Gus."

"Thank you for calling me, darling." Hal said and I just couldn't stop smiling. This was the first time in a while since I slept over at my house and that was for an obvious reason. I wouldn't be able to hide the surprise party I was planning.

"Must you go for this meeting?" I asked, pouting a bit.

"Just for a little bit. I'll be done by two. I promise."

"Okie. Come home so I can kiss you a happy birthday." I said, trying my best not to whine a bit. This meeting worked out well, it gave us one less thing to do.

"I'm going to miss you, darling."

"You too, daddy. Come home soon to me."

"Always."

"Happy birthday, daddy." I love you.

I had everything set up though. I had taken the day off to prepare. So when it was a bit past six, I had already had my bath, pulled on one of Hal's hoodie that I kept over at mine and a pair of joggers and my sneakers.

Prez was already waiting outside, clad in his usual suit. He was leaning against the car, hands in his pockets. Once I walked out of my building, he pushed forward and quickly opened the door for me.

"Do you mind if I sit upfront with you?" I asked him and Prez nodded in agreement. He shuts the door and instead opened the passenger's for at the front for me.

Once I was seated and Prez was back in the car, pressing the start button. Hal has always been there for me to play music but this time I connected phone to the car's Bluetooth, Patricia by Florence and the machine came on.

"What are we picking up first?" Prez asked and I check the mental list that had been in my head for like a week.

"The decoration from that store down on fifth." I said and Prez nodded. This was the second time he was driving me anywhere. It had taken almost half an hour the previous time to convince Prez to call me Jesse.

I sang along with the music, making small talk here and there with Prez until we got to the store. It was open and I had come the day before to make sure they got my order. All I had to do was go in, grab the order and get out.