Voices

The hamlet of Dale was not known for many things. It was a secluded place filled with people living simple lives. For fun, the children would play across the hills and ponds, but never the woods. The woods were a place for spirits, some good and some bad. There had been people that went into the woods and never returned. As such, none of the good little boys and girls had ever gone into the woods. But one boy, Xander, was too curious to listen.

It wasn't that Xander was a bad boy. He had simply grown tired of staying in the village and wanted to see more of the world. So Xander, in the middle of the night, slipped out of his home and ventured into the woods.

The woods were very dark and very quiet. He had been told that if you were to be quiet enough, you might even hear the forest's ghosts.

But Xander had listened for a long time and heard nothing, not even a cricket. The only sound came from the crunch of dead leaves underfoot.

Then, he began to notice that the farther into the woods he went, the stranger he felt. The silence became overwhelmingly loud. A mist had settled on the ground. That's when Xander heard a voice in the distance. It was muffled, but he could understand parts of what it was saying.

"Go... Back!" The voice echoed.

Xander realized he must have been near the center of the wood. He could hear footsteps running towards him! He turned around and ran back the way he had gone. All the while, the voice continued to cry, "Go.... Back!"

When Xander finally came back from the woods, he realized his home was different. As he walked up and down the streets, he was greeted by strange stone structures that could have been houses but he wasn't sure. There was no one in sight.

This wasn't the home he had left. Where had everyone gone? He wandered up and down the empty streets until he came to the square. The well should have been there, but instead, there was a crowd of people dressed in black robes. Something dark was bubbling in the center of the crowd.

The black something oozed and bubbled until it rose above the crowd like a snake. Xander could see faces in the black, oily goop. Some were friends who had gone into the woods. They moaned and cried until voices became one horrible note.

Then, every single eye on the black blob turned to look at him

"Intruder." They said.

A pair of bright eyes, like two coins, appeared on the blob's 'head'. Spindly arms sprouted from the blob. It looked like a centipede now. The crowd turned to look at Xander.

"Intruder!" The faces yelled. They screamed as the mass of faces and arms dove towards him. Xander ran.

He ran faster than even he thought he could. He made it into the woods and ran inside. All the while, the blob of faces and arms chased him. The voices cried out for him.

He could hear someone else walking towards him. At first, he was afraid it was one of the people in the black robes, but then he could see.

It was him!

"Go back!" Xander yelled at himself.

His other self started to run back, but even then, Xander knew it was of no use anyway. He realized that his other self would run back to a village that was not his own and see strange buildings of stone and a crowd of black robed people. He would then run from a blob of faces and arms. Xander would fail, time and time again, forever trapped in this horrible loop, never able to escape.