FOUR

12.06.2038

The doorbell echoed through my entire empty house. I ran down the stairs, quickly pulling my cardigan on. It was barely 6am, and I wasn't awake enough to coordinate getting my long limbs through the holes of my jumper while also running blindly through the dark house. I reached the bottom level, the instant chill engulfing my body – no fire = no heat.

Yawning loudly, I punched in the code to the door and slid it across; the cold winter wind hitting me like a ton of bricks. Suddenly, my thin cardigan was the wrong choice. Ezekiel and Killian stood at my door, enlightening it with their hand-held lamp. Both of them looked triple the size, their thick coats, scarfs and beanies almost covered their entire body; the small circle of their faces showing.

"It's 6am." My voice was croaky. I crossed my arms as the instant chills kicked in, my body vibrating from the cold; my jaw clenched to stop teeth chattering. "What do you want?"

"We're leaving London today to go and get more people from our group." Ezekiel said, "Robert wants you to come."

"I'd rather not." I shook my head, spotting the thermal jacket beside me on the coat hanger. Grabbing it, I pulled it quickly over my arms and onto my shoulders, zipping it up all within 10 seconds. I looked at Killian, who seemed to be amused by my need of warmth. He was blessed to have as many layers as he had on. "Is that all?"

"Eleanora, please." Ezekiel sighed deeply, lowering the lantern to beside him. "It's going to be a quick trip, a day at most. No danger at all, it won't take from your life; and it'll shut Robert up. We can't keep hearing about how you aren't talking to him."

"My morals -"

"The quicker you act on what Robert wants, the quicker you may leave." Ezekiel interrupted, "Please just think about it. We'll be back at 9 to get you, be dressed and ready for the cold. A cardigan like that won't do you much good."

"No promises, Ezekiel." I shook my head again, and he just shrugged his shoulder. Killian bowed his head, turning on his heel and walking away without another word. It was different to not hear from him; he usually had some sort of comment to make; whether rude or intelligent. I couldn't tell if I was disappointed in his lack of interest or not.

"9 o'clock, Eleanora." Ezekiel repeated once more, following Killian off my porch. I closed the door, not waiting for their light to fade away. I took a deep breath, my brain still slightly drowsy and unaware of what just occurred. Without thinking, I went back upstairs to bed; still in the jacket, still undecided if I would wake again at 9am.

It felt like I had only just closed my eyes, when the doorbell went off again. I groaned, covering my face with the pillow. Within seconds, the doorbell went off again. Reluctantly, I pulled myself up rubbing my eyes lazily as I let out another yawn. The smell of coffee and toast wafted in my room; Iris was awake, she wasn't allowed to answer the doorbell. Quickly, I jumped out of my bed and ran back downstairs, as I had 3 hours ago.

My thermal jumper still on, zipped all the way up. Iris stood in the kitchen, a coffee in her hands and an old book in the other. She looked at me as I burst into the living room, her eyes showing no surprise.

"I didn't get the door, gathered it was your issue." My Mother sighed, taking a sip of coffee. She had become noticeably bland over the last few weeks; since Robert fired her specifically. She didn't know that I had essentially replaced her, I was scared. However, if I'm going to make one thing happen during my time as Robert's righthand woman, it'd be finding something to make Iris happy again. I need my Mom happy again.

She had loved working for my Father; it helped her help others. She worked for the food donations, livestock and helped the kids learn to plant and pick fruit and vegetables; she's a kind lady, but since my Father's death she's different. Firing her just made her worse.