SIXTEEN

12.16.2038

2033

"The Green Goblin steps out in front of you, brandishing a magic wand with the shrinking spell ready to be cast, what do you do?" Patrick stared at me through the chicken wire, holding a Dungeons and Dragons book, almost as big as his chest. "Come on, Ellie."

"This is a stupid game." I shook my head, playing with the piece of wheat I had plucked on my walk to the fence. It was so light, so golden; you could pull strings off it like hair. "Can't we play something else?"

"I played catch with you last time, just pick one of your weapons and use it on the Goblin." Patrick huffed loudly, I looked up at him to see him smiling. I sat up straight, tucking the piece of wheat in my hair above my ear. "Ellie, pick a weapon."

"Fine." I rolled my eyes, "I pick my sword."

"No." He laughed, shaking his head, turning around the book to show me the Goblin. It was big, green and warty. He pointed to the drawing, "A sword won't kill it. Green Goblins can't be killed, you need to pick something else."

"You can do more with a knife then just kill something." I said, making Patty raise his brows. "I could just hurt him."

"It would make him want to shrink you more, Ellie." Patty seemed amused by my disinterest. He turned the book around, reading the passage carefully. "Pick something else."

"I want to use my sword." I refused. He put the book down to his side, moving closer to the wall until his forehead pressed against the chicken wire. "Puppy-dog eyes won't work, Patty."

"How will you use your sword, Miss Luther?" He raised his eyebrows again. I walked over until I was centimetres from him, a barrier of thin metal between us. I smiled, secretly glad he moved closer. To think I was beginning to get bored of him.

"Stick your finger through." I said, a grin appearing across his lips. He leant back, raising his finger and sticking it through the hole in the wire. I grabbed it with my hand, this was the closest we could get. "Pretend this is the Goblins arm."

"Or we could just pretend it's my finger." Pat smiled.

"You wanted to play let's play." I said, and he nodded hesitantly in agreement. "So, the fingers holding the wand, right?"

"Right." Pat agreed.

"I could pull my sword out," I pulled the pocket knife from my back pocket of my jeans, "And bam." I flicked it out, pressing it blade side-up on his finger. He shot it back out, taking it back into his side of the fence. I laughed as he checked his finger, making sure I didn't cut it. "I cut the arm that's holding the wand, then what can he do? I have his wand."

"You're smart, Ellie." He nodded, slowly sticking his finger back through the fence. I smiled, grabbing hold of it once again.

"Thank you, Pat." I said, "Never underestimate a knife."

"Never underestimate a knife." He repeated.

Never underestimate a knife.

"Never underestimate a knife." Ezekiel chuckled as him and Killian carried an unconscious Diaz through the front yard and towards a waiting truck in front of the house. I followed close behind them, threading the knife back in its shell behind my back. Anarchy ran past me holding enough towels for everyone, throwing them in the back of the truck as Diaz was lifted onto it.

"You go with them." Patrick said as he came up behind me. I shook my head, frowning deeply as I grabbed his arm. "You need to stop the bleeding, let us drive ahead just in case."