TWENTY-FOUR

12.24.2038

I woke up with a jump to a loud noise in the distant trees. It was morning, barely, with the grey sky above the camping ground shedding the smallest amount of light through the clouds. I looked beside me to see Killian lying there; however, with his back to me and an arm's length away.

We'll get through it tomorrow.

I thought.

No, we won't.

I shook my head, sitting up and looking over the combination of burnt out coals and smoke to find Robert's bed empty. I rubbed my eyes, spying his backpack still in the pile along with Killian and I's. Gone without his pack? That's one way to die in a forest with the Dead walking around.

"What're you doing?" I heard Killian whisper behind me. I turned back around, finding him now lying on his back and looking up at the tree line.

"Rob's gone, left without his pack." I replied,

"He's probably taking a piss." Killian sighed, rolling back over, "Go back to sleep, Elle."

"I'm going to wait up for him." I shook my head, the air stayed silent as Killian chose not to reply. Within a matter of 12 hours, things between us were different. I spoke one truth, and Killian felt gone for good. I tried not to get hurt; not to take it to heart, but when a man speaks of love, isn't he to accept all of you? Even your flaws?

Even the flaws you both share?

I pick up a stick and throw it into the embers in front of me. Times like this made me miss Anarchy. I was surprised about how little I had thought of her within the last week in the vault. So many things seemed more important at the time, but now I felt emptier than when I was in the Vault.

Mainly because now I'm out, and she's still in. Ana was the only person I knew was on my side, and I left her. I didn't even think of her. What was wrong with me?

I flinched when I heard a distance cry for help coming from just beyond the forest wall. It was a man. It was Robert.

"Rob!" I jumped up. Killian was quick to react behind me. I picked up the knife beside the fire, before grabbing Robert's backpack and running into the trees in the direction I heard Robert's shout. I could hear Killian behind me as we both ran through the crowded trees, hoping to hear another word from Robert so we could pinpoint where he was.

"This way, Elle." Killian veered left, and I came to a quick halt. What was Killian hearing that I couldn't? I followed Killian cautiously, ducking and weaving through the greenery until I almost ran into the back of him, as he'd come to a complete stop. "How the fuck -"

"No one move." I heard a woman's voice in front of Killian, but he was too tall for me to see. I stuck behind him, wondering if she even knew I was here.

"How did you find us?" I heard Robert's voice chime in, Killian had found him.

"I didn't mean to, I wasn't looking."

"We can trust her, Rob." Killian put his hands up in surrender, I crouched lower behind his shoulders. I had no idea who was standing in front of me.

"Can't trust anyone from the Bank, Killian." Robert disagreed.

"I never did anything."

"I heard about what was done to Drago." Robert said.

"I had nothing to do with that."

"We can trust her, Rob. You both need to put your weapons down." Killian said.

"Ask Elle. Ask your sister." The woman said. At the mention of my name, I poked my head around and out behind Killian's waist. East stood in front of us, her gun pointed to Rob's forehead while his knife was grazing her oesophagus. Her eyes found me and seemed to relax slightly. "Elle. Elle – tell Robert that I am okay, I never did anything bad in the vault."