THIRTEEN

12.13.2038

I walk down the line of rooms, my Mother close behind me. The hospital was emptier, everyone but East and Wyatt had been discharged. It had been 2 days since Wyatt's meltdown at the gate; which meant 2 days of weening her from her morphine comedown. Iris thought it would be a good idea to talk to her; I did not.

However, Iris had been in my position for longer and kept the peace for 26 years, so following a step or two from her wouldn't be the worst idea.

We passed East's room, where she slept with Ezekiel beside her, also resting. A few doors down was Wyatt's room, where she sat in her bed alone. I was expecting to find Killian here, but surprisingly, he was not. Iris walked in first, and I followed close behind.

"Mrs Luther."

"Iris, please." She said, sitting down on the bed next to Wyatt. Wyatt looked shocked to see us, mainly Iris, she shifted uncomfortably in her bed. I gathered this would be an uncomfortable conversation, but again, Iris insisted. "How are you feeling?"

"Better." Wyatt nodded, crossing her arms in her defence. "I think I owe you an apology, Elle."

"Don't." I shook my head, "I didn't come here for that."

"I am sorry, though." She said, interrupting me at the end. "Killian told me that he informed you on the state I was in, and why I was in that state. I'm embarrassed, I didn't think I had addictive tendencies like that."

"Wyatt, we are just here to make sure that you're okay." Iris spoke for me before I had the chance, "We were all so worried."

"Mom -"

"Elle." She looked up at me, shaking her head slightly. Iris was lying, we weren't worried. She might've been, but not me. I simply came here to inform Wyatt of her community service she's been left with, and because Iris forced me to. Not to check on her. It was a slight hit with a piece of metal, barely anything to cry about.

"I'm fine, Mrs Luther." She smiled softly, tucking a rogue piece of hair behind her ear. "The morphine just had me seeing some crazy things, like I thought my Brother was in London. I could hear him, but I couldn't see him, and he told me to leave. He told me it was my fault and that I didn't deserve to be here, so I thought it was best for me to just leave."

"If you want to leave, you may leave. You didn't need to do what you did the other night." I said, getting another disapproving look from Iris. "What? This isn't a concentration camp."

"I know." Wyatt nodded, "Killian didn't want me to leave. So, he made a big scene over it; I wish it didn't happen the way it did, but I'm glad it did. I don't want to leave, and I hope you know that."

"Killian is your?"

"Boyfriend." Wyatt answered Iris, "Of a couple years now."

"Right." Iris said, her eyes remaining on Wyatt, thankfully. I didn't need her looking at me right now. I knew they were together, but I didn't know how long. I didn't want to know how long. I wish I didn't know how long. "Well, you're lucky you have him. He seems like a nice man."

"Iris." I said, stopping her, "You're getting side-tracked." She looked up at me, pitifully. I could feel her trying to sympathise with me, but I didn't want it. I didn't want the pity; or for her to feel bad for me. Killian and I were barely friends, I'm beginning to wish I didn't tell her what he said that night in that house. I'm beginning to wish he never said it either; I can't get it out of my head.

"I heard about the shifts on the wall." Wyatt said to me. I nodded, crossing my arms. "I'm happy to do it, I know I attracted some Dead the other night, I'm sorry you had to use ammo."