sixteen

* .✫*゚・゚。.☆.*。・゚✫*.

i opened my eyes to the sunlight shining through my curtains. the loose strands of my hair fall onto my face, but i don't mind it. the memories flashing through my head of the night before makes today so beautiful.

i snuggle into my pillow as my head rest upon it and close my eyes in the light, taking up as much as i could before i have to get out of bed.

today is austin's party at zion's house, which has sin is written all over it.

zion's parties are famous for their hookup place, which takes place in their many guest rooms. for as long as i can remember, those rooms have always been occupied. never wanted to see what was in there.

i rest my eyes for a few more seconds until my phone rings with jasmine's name flashing across my screen.

images flashed through my head with her and nick at the store and i couldn't help but let my smile fall.

i shouldn't be feeling like this. i'm over him, i'm done. i'm onto newer and better things. things named shawn.

i pick back my smile and pick up the phone.

"hello-" i start, but get interrupted in a heartbeat with jasmine's yelling.

"CHRIS WHERE ARE YOU?? WE HAVE TO GET READY" you can hear how stressed she is through the phone with rummaging in the background.

i calmly sat up on my bed and looked at the time, "jas i'm supposed to be coming over at five, it's eleven am."

"CHRIS I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MY COLOR SCHEME SHOULD BE TODAY!!!"

"jasmine take a deep breath. you have enough time to think this all through. the party doesn't even start until 9"

"ugh... why are you always like this. you wouldn't be any help anyways" she lets out a loud sigh and hangs up the phone.

i roll my eyes at how used to this i am and toss my phone back on my bed as i roll out. walking downstairs, i see my mom cooking in the kitchen as she moves her hips to her music, happy as ever. something i aspire to have.

"goodmorning mom" i say aloud as i kiss her cheek heading towards the middle of the kitchen island.

she lowers her music and turns towards me with her arms crossed, "so i didn't hear you get home until 2 am?"

her eyebrows raise up at me and my eyes go wide, "well um... yeah?"

she turns back around to the stove and and flips the pancakes she's cooking, "what were you two doing that late at night missy?"

i throw a strawberry into my mouth and form a sly smile, "we actually didn't do anything dirty like that."

"elaborate" she keeps her eyes on the pan in front of her.

"well first it took us about an hour at the grocery store, then we went to his house and he taught me how to bake chocolate chip cookies," i explain and my mom turns around with a plateful of pancakes in her hand.

"you baked?" she asked with her eyebrows almost through the roof.

my eyes pop out excitedly and i nod, "i know! who would've thought!"

we add our own berries on our pancakes, "yeah and that took forever because i was just messing around in the kitchen while he was trying to get it all done with. it was actually really fun."

my mom studies my face, "mmhm and then what happened?"

"we just watched disney movies the rest of the night. it was simple, but so... what's the word? meaningful?" i continue on while i put whipped cream all over my pancakes.

too much is never enough.

"wholesome?" my mom suggests, but that's not the word i'm thinking of. i cant quite put my tongue on it.

i shake my head, "no, close though, i guess it's harder to explain. but i just feel... closer to him in a way."

"you like this boy huh?"

i take a moment, picking at my food, "... yeah. yeah i think i do."

my mom smiles at me and lifts my chin up to meet her eyes, "it's about time baby girl."

the warm smile on her face brightens up my entire world, knowing this was one of the few moments she has been happy.