Chapter 43

She was the reincarnation of Kikyo. However, they were different as two sides of the same coin. At first glance, they may seem the same, but at second glance, they were only similar. While both were compassionate, Kikyo was not as forgiving as Kagome. While both were powerful, Kagome was not as refined as Kikyo. While both were loved by the dog halfbreed, only one truly captivated his heart. 

She was Inuyasha's wench, always willing to live and die for him. 

She was too soft-hearted, and this has led her close to her own demise more than once. 

She was a fool, the most foolish fool Naraku has laid his eyes on. May that be why she was the most amusing to toy with. The look of fear and hatred she always had plastered on her face when they crossed paths brought him great entertainment. What did she think she could accomplish by looking at him like that? Would her glare be able to kill him? 

Whenever his eyes meant her glare, Naraku could not help but be reminded of a molten blue gemstone he once saw during his travels while he was still a human bandit. Once a merchant had wanted to sell a gemstone to him, proclaiming it was a rare gemstone that was hard to find and it had the ability to bring luck and wealth to its owner. Thinking back the merchant might have seen him as a potential customer to sell the gemstone to because Onigumo had blue eyes. 

Was that another reason why he found her eyes interesting? Because they remind him of Onigumo's eyes? 

Truly, they were such fools. Now remembering the existence of Onigumo Naraku no longer thought Kagome was the most foolish fool he has meant. Onigumo was the most foolish he has meant. For a woman, he sold his body and souls to a horde of demons. For a woman, he has gone against him.  For a woman, he has jeopardized his plans too many times.

Naraku closed his eyes and tried to sort through his thoughts. 

Naraku never noticed it before, but Onigumo and Kagome were similar. Both are willing to give up their life for mindless notion of love. Both are clever, but let their emotions get the best of them. Both are human, weak, fragile, prone forget no matter how hard they try, they cannot defeat him. 

Speaking of Onigumo, why has he not tried to resurface again? Naraku mentally jested, will he only come out if he sees Kikyo's reincarnation now? 

Feeling Kanna's presence in front of his bedroom door, Naraku opened his eyes and told her to come in. When the girl with pale skin and snowlike hair walked in, she remained silent and waited for Naraku's command. 

Naraku stared at Kanna, "Did you find the wench?" 

Kanna shook her head, "No, Lord Naraku." 

Naraku rested his head on his hand as he processed Kanna's short report. This is nothing new. For some reason, sometimes Kanna could not find the priestess through her mirror, and at times like this Naraku wondered where did he go that even Kanna could not find her. 

The first time this happened Naraku was delighted because he thought the priestess had died. If they were alive there was no one Kanna could not track down. The only way to escape Kanna's mirror was to be dead. However, after this occur so many times Naraku knew this was not the case. The priestess did not die. She went somewhere, a place where even his first incarnation could not reach. 

With his free hand, Naraku waved towards the door, silently telling Kanna she could leave. Understanding his gesture Kanna left Naraku's bedroom without saying another word. 

Once again being alone in his dark bedroom, Naraku had nothing to keep him company him but his thoughts.  

This was not the time to find the wretched priestess. She will come back, she always does. What he should focus on was what happened the night before. He was different. He was not himself. Why?