Chapter 14

People always say that home is not a place, it's people. I usually agree to that statement but there's something relaxing about being back in my old cabin. I had no worries or fears. My dark thoughts seemed nonexistent as I played the piano.

When I first sat down, the music was loud and angry. But as the song went on, my anger seemed to fade. My fingers started gently gliding across the piano keys making a more calming sound. Through one song, I seemed to get rid of all my problems. I could pretend everything was alright even though in reality I'm falling apart.

Music was a healthy coping mechanism according to Esmeralda. She told me that if music helps me, then I should play when I'm feeling overwhelmed. She even showed me the music room in the castle. It was gorgeous and elegant but it wasn't homey. It doesn't make me feel as calm as my cabin's. In my cabin, I felt safe which sadly wasn't something the castle could give me.

As the music plays, I can't even remember why I ran here. Things just were overwhelming and I ran. I needed to clear my mind before I could deal with anything. Running away wasn't something I liked to do but this was the only thing I could think to do.

My music started speeding up. The sounds became angrier and more fearful. Everything seemed to change in a matter of seconds as my mind drifted to Alpha Zaine. All the words and feelings that were unspoken were let out. The music told things that I didn't dare to say. Things that I didn't even want to admit to myself. Everything was revealed in my music.

It took a few hours of playing just to get my mind calm again. No more racing thoughts. No more depressing feelings. I felt content. I was okay with that.

Even though all I did today was play, fatigue hit like a ton of bricks. The minute I got back to my room in the castle, I fell asleep. Though, sadly, my dreams weren't relaxing. They were plagued with nightmares. I relived memories of Alpha Black's torture. I woke up suddenly just as he was about to take my virginity. Shivering in disgust, I ran into the bathroom and threw up.

My body needed to go back to sleep but I needed coffee. I wouldn't risk falling asleep again. As I made my way to the kitchen, I heard Alpha Zaine arguing with James. The little I heard gave me the hint that they were fighting about nothing. Though I tried to remain unbiased, I could tell this fight could be easily solved if Alpha Zaine would just listen.

"Why didn't you fucking tell me? I bet this was your plan the whole time! Wasn't it? Have her break me and then overthrow me," Alpha Zaine growled. I rolled my eyes. I didn't know a lot about James, however, I knew how loyal he was. The thought of him betraying Alpha Zaine never even crossed my mind. Not only is he Alpha Zaine's friend but he also respects him too much. There's no way he'd plot something against him.

James calmly replied, "You know I wouldn't do that." I respected how James remained calm but being calm wouldn't diffuse this situation. Judging from the loud shatter and growl, Alpha Zaine is too angry to be calmed down. He needed someone to put him in his place.

Of course, that person would be me. Everyone else outside the kitchen was too scared of Alpha Zaine. If he's family was here, maybe they could talk some sense into him. However, none of them was in sight. Which meant it was all up to me.

"What the hell is going on?" I growled as I entered the kitchen. Both of them froze. My glare caused their heart rates to increase. Both men were intimidated by me though Alpha Zaine tried to hide it behind a cold glare. Unlike him, I managed to keep my heart rate and breathing at a steady pace.

After a few seconds of me glaring, James finally answered my question. "Zaine is mad because I didn't tell him Loralie was my mate. He thinks it was a plot against him or something crazy like that," he replied.