Chapter 28

"King Eric, you wanted to see me," I said.

He smiled, "Alexa, I feel like we've gotten to the point where we can drop the titles. Don't you?"

"Of course," I smiled back. "But I have a feeling that's not what you want to talk about. Is it?"

"No, it isn't. Let's sit down," he chuckled.

I had no idea why I was here. All he said was he wanted to talk which, I have to admit, made me nervous. Though I knew Eric wouldn't have anything really bad to say. At least I don't think he will. "I'm thinking about letting my son take my positon soon and I was wondering what you thought," he told me.

I don't know what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't that. The fact that he consulted with me means a lot though. He wanted my opinion on something this big. Of course, I already knew what I thought. Zaine would make a great king and he was more than ready. He's been working for this all his life. He deserves it. I told Eric all of this and he agreed.

Though, there was one concern I had. "I think Zaine needs to have some sort of training in order to deal with victims of abuse and other tragic situations. I know he probably acted out before because he thought I slept with someone other than him. But I still think the training would benefit him," I informed Eric.

If Zaine was king, he'd have to deal with a lot of people. I didn't want him to accidentally insult somebody. He needs to learn the best way to deal with people. It'll help him immensely. "You're right," Eric stated, rubbing his chin. "Do you think you could help him? Maybe next week you could give him the training you give your employees?"

"Of course. Is that all you need?" I inquired.

He smiled, "Yes. Thank you, Alexa. Enjoy the rest of your evening."

"You too," I replied before leaving. I honestly expected that meeting to go on longer but I'm glad it didn't. It was already dinner time and I haven't done my paperwork yet. There's been a lot of distractions today. Actually, there's been a lot of distractions these past few months.

I don't know how any of this happened. It seemed crazy when I thought about it. My life was so calm before all of this. Every day was the same. In the beginning, I thought this whole mess was an unwanted burden. But now. I actually don't mind it. Life was exciting now and I didn't dislike it. Of course, there were moments where I wished life would go back to how it was before. But I always believed that everything happens for a reason. If Zaine never visited my pack, I'd never meet all the people I gave, including my parents.

Though with all these distractions, I've been behind on my paperwork. Even if I'm the boss, I can't just keep taking breaks when I feel like it. It isn't fair to my employees and friends, who have to do my work.

Piano music filled my office as I worked. The giant stack of papers slowly started to be checked. I was in my zone so I didn't notice Zaine when he walked into the room. When I was like this, barley anything could snap me out of it. Even my mate's scent.

It wasn't until he covered my paperwork with his hand that I finally looked up at him. "Finally," he chuckled. "I've been calling you for a while, Princess."

"Sorry, I was really focused," I replied. "Is there something you need?"

"I was actually wondering if you needed help. You seem to have a lot of work to do and it's kind of late. I don't want you staying up all night," he told me, smiling.

My heart swelled. Damn, that was really sweet. "Um, sure I guess. This stack that I'm working on is just checking for mistakes. You can do that while I do the other pile. It's all stuff I have to look over and sign," I said, smiling back.