Chapter 3 ~ The Quest

TW: mentions of a panic attack

Once recovering from the nausea of traveling through a void, Thomas gasps as he finds himself in a dark room with no walls, floor, or even ceiling.

"Where the fu-"

"Language, kiddo!"

Well, at least he wasn't alone.

Turning around, he finds his Sides in a tangle of limbs as they're all piled on top of one another.

"Logan! Your elbow is digging into my ribs!" Roman cries out.

"Well, maybe if you hadn't suggested that we hold on to one another, we wouldn't have ended up in this mess!" Logan spits back.

Virgil grunts as he finally frees himself from the body pile, "I hate everything about this." He grumbles while dusting himself off.

Patton goes to help his partner off of the fanciful trait, who sighs in relief once the weight on top of him was gone.

"Remus! Get off me, you clingy kraken!" Janus demands as he's being pinned to the ground by his trashrat of a boyfriend.

"Ehh, what if I don't want to?"

"You will never see the light of day again." Janus threats.

"Oh yeah? Try me."

"No sunlight, no vitamin D." A smirk appears on the lying trait's face as he watches the Duke scramble up to get off of him immediately.

After everyone's back on their feet, Thomas begins bombarding them with questions.

"Okay... What the heck was that?!" The former Viner shrieks in disbelief, "Where did it come from?! Where did it go?!"

"Where did it come from, cotton-eye Joe?" The Sides collectively say in unison. The reference did nothing to ease the panic rising within their host, so Roman has to swoop in to save the day.

"That, my dear Thomas, was a Dream Void." He starts off, "They usually pop up in the Imagination when you're asleep or when you're day dreaming."

Remus hums and continues, "They are, for the most part, harmless. All it does is take you to a dream world inspired by the last thing you were thinking of before falling asleep. Roman and I like to jump into them every once in awhile for a little adventure."

Thomas slowly takes in the information, "Alright. So, how do we get out of it?"

An awkward silence falls upon the group.

"Yeah, uh... We don't really know. We usually just wait for you to wake up, cause once you gain consciousness, the dream disappears."

"So what you're saying is... We're stuck here?!" The reality of the situation comes crashing down on the anxious Side, resulting for him to end up hyperventilating. Thankfully, Janus was by his side in no time, helping him through the breathing exercise they knew all too well and manages to calm him down without any further complications.

"Are Thomas' dreams usually this... Blank?" Logan questions as he looks around to find, well, nothing.

"Goodness, no." Roman shakes his head, "Just give it a few minutes, it's still setting up."

"Setting up- ?" Just as the words leave the logical trait's mouth, a giant holographic screen appears in front of them.

"Welcome to Disneytale!
How many players do we have?"

Thomas' show-host voice could be heard from all directions of the empty room.

"That's, er... New?" Roman notes, glancing towards his brother who had a similar confused expression as him, "Welp, guess we're doing this then."

"SEVEN!" The twins shout at the same time.

"Excellent!
Is everyone ready for the quest?"

"YES!"

Logan tilts his head in confusion, "Wait, are we not getting briefed of the rules and objectives?"

"Alright! Let's begin!"

Remus shrugs, "Eh, too late for that now."

"STORY TIME!"

The black, empty room suddenly dissolves before their eyes, along with their own clothing.

As they now find themselves stood in a familiar enchanted forest, their outfits seem to have been altered to fit the theme of their quest.

"To begin your first journey,
Allow the story to unfold,
The key shall be presented,
From how it has been told."

Thomas eyes his own outfit, then to the ones on each of his Sides.

"I think I know what story we're in..."