Chapter Forty-Seven: Heartbeats

Sophie wandered the empty halls in search of those she had lost. It was clear that things had taken a turn for the worse when she found a new guest accompanied by an old one. There was a sense of urgency in the air that had been building since that night. Delphine's death was only a couple of days old, and yet if felt as if it was a distant memory.

The world that she once knew before stepping into this cage was long gone. Replaced with a new determination and longing for a better future. It was that same passion and drive that she longed to share with her comrades. That is, if she could find them.

John sat up against the remains of his car. When the ambulances and police finally arrived on scene, they questioned everyone. It was clear that the accident and the deaths that resulted were due to his reckless driving. There was nothing he could do except wait to be hauled off to jail.

Bobby hadn't looked at or even spoken to himsince Joe's death. There was only so much that could be done in a moment likethat. John found himself filled with regret for all the lives lost and all thechildren that he could not save because of his negligent driving. With adefeated sigh, John dropped his head into his bandaged palms.

Jason followed the shadow through the empty hallways. Whoever it was seemed to be wandering aimlessly. No matter how many times he tried jogging to catch up, the prey was always out of reach. Perhaps, it was a game, or a trick put on by the house. This thought had entered his mind more than a few times as he stalked his unknowing victim. It would have been easy for him to stop and return to the dining hall, but what would be the fun in that? If it was the house, then it must have a reason for such a wild goose chase.

Charlie felt an unquenchable rage surge through him at the sight of Karen in Wyatt's arms. She looked so small and frail, like he could crush her with one glance. Wyatt on the other hand was like a deer in headlights. His eyes fixed on the blood that dripped from the axe in his hand. It was time for the house to see what a true killer could do.

All Bobby wanted to do was find a way to turn back the clock. He wanted to stop Joe from picking up the first fare that started this whole mess. He wanted to stay with his friend, but the medical examiner told him that he wasn't family. What did he know? Joe had been his best friend since college. He had supported Joe through the death of his father and when he lost his job. He was the one who vouched for him at the taxi company. As far as Bobby was concerned, he just lost his only brother.

The cops questioned him about everything that happened, but it was all a blur. Everything that led up to the moment of Joe's death was a memory locked away deep inside his brain. The only moment he had left played on repeat in the forefront of his mind. He did everything he could to bring his friend and brother back to no avail. His spirit was long since departed.

It was in those minutes of waiting to wake up from the nightmare that Bobby decided he didn't care if those kids died. The only thing was, Joe did. They were in that car on a mission and Joe would hate him if he gave up and let those innocent children get slaughtered. So, with death still fresh in the air, he grabbed his discarded jacket and ran off to finish was Joe had started.

Wyatt froze in place at the sight of Charlie's axe. There was something inhuman about the way he stood there. His body seemingly disfigured by the light. How was this happening? Hadn't they already suffered enough?

Karen pressed up tighter against him in response to the new danger that lurked at the end of the hall. Wyatt understood her unease at the alarming turn of events. They had just finished with one traumatic event only go get bombarded with another. The urge to run built up inside his trembling body. What was he supposed to do? How was he supposed to fight when he didn't have a weapon?

After seeing what Karen had done to Paul, he found that he accepted the idea of supernatural powers, but what good would that do him here? The power that was bestowed upon him was talking to animals and there were none to be found on this entire property. Then there was the problem of what he would tell them to do even if they were there to save him. No, there was nothing he could do.

Greyson watched from the window as the sun set on another day. Time appeared to move differently inside of its walls. He couldn't seem to remember when he first arrived, or how long it had been since Delphine ran away. It was a strange sort of feeling, not being constricted by the ebb and flow of time. It was easy to get lost in thought about such things, but he needed to keep moving. He was on a mission. A mission to find Delphine.

Gwyneth approached the pile of bodies in the cellar. How did she never know about this place? Until a few short minutes ago, she would have sworn that this house didn't have a cellar. She had known about the basement, but why would there be a cellar as well? It seemed a little excessive to her.

The more she could see the pile the more she began to realize that what she thought was a darkened corner in the cellar was something much worse. Instead of finding bodies piled up against a wall, she found bodies stacked up against even more bodies and bones. The smell was horrendous, but she pushed onward.

The light was bad, but she knew what she was looking at even if she couldn't see it properly. There were more bodies than she could have imagined. Had Agatha killed all these people? The question burst to the front of her mind. It was a terrible thing to think, but how could she not. It was Agatha who took care of the body of not just Delphine, but the ones who came before. Still, some of the bones were too old to have happened in Agatha's lifetime.

A horrible feeling of dread washed over her taking any color she had left. It wasn't her fault. The house was evil, this was clear. Agatha, her once friend and partner had deceived her into returning and inviting more helpless guests to get slaughtered.

The thought had crossed her mind before, but how could one come to accept such a notion. A house is supposed to be four walls that you live within. Not this house. It was alive and with every heartbeat it took another life. Gwyneth wanted to run, but her old bones would not let her. So instead she settled for a fast-paced walk.

I HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER. CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT: WHISPERED TRUTHS WILL BE COMING AT YOU ALL TOMORROW!

PLEASE REMEBER TO VOTE, COMMENT (WHAT YOU LIKED, WHAT YOU DIDN'T, WHAT YOU THINK COULD BE IMPROVED, ETC....), AND/OR SHARE WITH YOUR FOLLOWERS (ONLY IF YOU WANT TO).

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. WE ARE GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER TO THE END SO THINKS ARE ABOUT TO GET INSANE AS THERE ARE STILL MANY THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO TAKE PLACE WITHIN THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS. I REALLY HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOY!!!!