Chapter Fifty-Three: Surrender

Wyatt took a hesitant step forward only to have Karen latch onto him. "It could be a trap." She whispered the words at him.

"I know, but what other choice do we have?"

"Maybe we should throw something at him first." Karen stared intently at Wyatt. There was no way that she was going to let somebody else die in this house.

"Like what?" Instead of using words to answer, Karen let go of his shirt and bent down to retrieve one of the heavy books she had thrown on the floor during her search. She offered it to him with a skeptical smile. Instead of arguing, Wyatt took the book and turned back to Charlie who was still lying unconscious on the floor, or so they hoped.

Without giving himself a chance to second guess, Wyatt chucked the book at him. The warn pages and cover flapped as it flew through the air, arcing as gravity hit. The book landed on Charlie's head with a loud thud that made both Karen and Wyatt cringe.

Wyatt and Karen found themselves both leaning in to check for any hint of subtle movement from their unconscious assailant. Charlie didn't seem to notice the book that was currently resting against the front of his face. The impact didn't even cause a shift in his breathing pattern. All looked okay, but a feeling of unease hung in the air like heavy fog.

Wyatt took a step forward glancing back at Karen who was still trembling, eyes full of worry. He understood how she felt. He didn't want to be the first one to try and get passed Charlie, but he also didn't want anything to happen to her. With that thought in mind, he bravely took another step forward. He could feel the broken shards of chair digging into the soles of his shoes, but he wasn't worried about that. His eyes were glued on the supposedly knocked out monster.

With each step that brought him closer, Wyatt could feel his heart beat faster and faster. Everything was in slow motion again, which only made each movement pure agony. Sweat dripped down his forehead into his already damp eyebrows. This was definitely not what he pictured when he chose to come to this house.

As Wyatt's foot hit the ground in front of Charlie's covered face, he felt his breath catch in his throat. This was the dangerous part. The part that was most probably going to result in his immediate death. Wyatt watched Charlie's body for any sign of movement as he took his next step toward the door. So far so good, he thought to himself.

In the exact second Wyatt's subconsciously gained a bit of optimism, Karen let out a soft cry as her hand slapped over her mouth. Wyatt turned to look back at his friend when Charlie's iron vise of a hand wrapped itself around his ankle and pulled him off of his feet. Wyatt's body whipped out from under him. In an instant of pure terror, he managed to catch a glimpse of Charlie's eyes right before he hit the ground.

No matter how many times Jason traced around the window with his knife, the cuts always managed to heal themselves. With anger spewing from every pore in his body, Jason let out an animalistic howl before stabbing his blade into the glass. As the tip of the blade connected, splinters and cracks ran down the surface of the metal. When he pulled away from the still intact window, his blade shattered.

Jason's anger turned to fury as he began to beat on the glass with his bare hands. He was not going to be defeated by a stupid house. He was going to have what he'd been promise, even if that meant burning this place to the ground with him still inside.

Gwyneth Circled around at the sound of screams echoing from an unknown hall. She needed to get to the children and make sure that they were protected. This house was determined to make sure that none of them survived, but she was just as determined to make sure that at least one of the children made it out alive.

Sophie stopped in her tracks when she heard screaming from around the next corner. She hoped that it wasn't Wyatt, but the voice was deep, and she knew that the only other option was Paul. Part of her didn't mind if it was him, as he was the one who convinced everyone to stay. Even so, she still needed to protect them, so without thinking on it too much more she circled the corner.

Charlie rose from the floor like an evil weed. He looked at his prey who was sprawled on the floor, petrified. He couldn't help but grin at the sight. This was what he wanted. He wanted his victims to know that they were going to die and that no one could save them. He basked in the glory of it. For so long he waited, listening to the house's incessant whisperings, but now, now he was going to kill.

Karen stood frozen by the empty bookshelves. What was she supposed to do? Wyatt had been brave enough to go first, but now instead of escaping, he was going to die right in front of her eyes.

With that thought fresh in her mind, she remembered Paul. The sound of his ribs breaking under her foot. She wasn't helpless. Paul told them all that they all possessed supernatural abilities. She needed to save her friend from the monster. A monster that didn't know that she could kill a man with a single kick to the chest.

Without thinking on it further, Karen charged at Charlie. She didn't have a plan, or even know how to access her ability, but she would be damned if she watched another person, she cared about die in this house.

Charlie looked up from Wyatt in time for Karen's fist to smack him in the cheek. The sudden impact caused him to stumble, but he remained on his feet, much to both Wyatt and Karen's dismay. Fuming once again, Charlie began stomping towards his new victim. This girl who he once thought he could care for, even love, had once again turned her back on him for some scrawny little boy who looked like a punching bag coming through the door. No, he would not allow this. He would show her a true man, and he would do it by ringing her damn throat.

Wyatt stared at his friend who literally punched a madman in the face to save him. Karen pushed herself backwards in order to get away from Charlie who was now focused on her. She really hated the whole power thing.

"You stupid little-" Charlie's sentence was interrupted by Wyatt who had picked up another book from the floor and chucked it at the back of his head. Charlie growled at his previous target. He was getting fed up with their ridiculous games. When he finally killed them, he was going to make sure that it hurt.

Karen watched as Charlie stared Wyatt down. If only she could get to the axe he dropped. Unfortunately for her, it was all the way on the other side of the room.

Without waiting for another idiotic delay, Charlie let out another primal scream and then charged at Karen.

WOW! SO THAT WAS A LOT, ANY WHO, WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? TUNE IN TOMORROW FOR CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR: IDIOSYNCRASY!

SPOT ANY ERRORS, DROP A COMMENT BELOW AND LET ME KNOW. REALLY LIKED THE CHAPTER? CLICK THE ADORABLE VOTE BUTTON LOCATED AT THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE. ALSO LEAVE A COMMENT IN THE COMMENTS SECTION. ;) 

I HOPE Y'ALL HAVE AN AMAZING AND FANTASTICAL DAY!!!!