Chapter 17 - Ambushed

Jesse frowned, running her hand across the elaborate redstone tool set. And she thought Olivia's set was massive, this one had items in she's never even seen before!

"Found anything?" Petra asked her, her voice ripping Jesse back to reality.

"Just more redstone tools." Jesse said with a sigh, turning around to face Petra again. "Since when was Maya this into redstone?"

"As far as I know, she's always  known a thing or two about it." Petra said, pulling another drawer open to search through. "But never this much. I wouldn't be surprised if she's gotten this good at Aiden's will – you know he wouldn't keep them around if they weren't of some use to him."

"Then I wonder how Gill is still alive." Jesse muttered, making Petra snort.

The two of them were searching through what they assumed were Maya's 'bedroom'. They've already been through Gill's – which was pretty much a maze of complete and utter junk. Aiden's room, no doubt where all the good stuff were, was locked up just as tight as the cell.

"I don't think we're going to find anything in here." Jesse admitted. "Aiden wouldn't trust his friends to have items as important as the keys to Rascal's cell." She finished with a sigh, thoughtfully biting her lip.

"Jesse, look at this."

Jesse turned around, walking over to where Petra was standing. The redhead was holding what looked like the fur coat Maya had worn on their previous encounter. Her blue eyes were narrowed in suspicion.

"Wolf skin." Jesse said, realising what Petra was getting at the moment she touched the coat and felt the familiarity of the fur's texture. It was an awfully close shade of grey to Rascal's fur as well, just a tad lighter than him.

"Yeah." Petra said softly. "But that's not all."

She turned the coat around, running her hand across the fur to smooth it out. Carefully, Petra traced a faded shape on the coat with her finger, the patch of white fur being the only imperfection on the smooth grey coat.

"It was probably a birth mark." Jesse said thoughtfully. She shuddered slightly, hating the thought of the wolf the coat used to be.

"It is." Petra said softly, her voice almost distant. "But Jesse... Rascal has the exact same one."

It was quite for a second, neither of the girls speaking. They turned to look at each other, a mixture of emotions dancing in both their eyes.

"It's a little different, but the resemblance is there." Petra finally said, directing her gaze back to the coat. She gulped thickly. "Rascal was barely a few weeks old, starved and without a pack when we found him...."

"Dear god." Jesse breathed, leaning back against the wall and burying her face into his hands. "You think...?"

"His parents must have been hunted." Petra confirmed softly. "And somehow, the fur's found it's way over to Maya." She dropped the coat onto the ground, turning away from it. "I feel sick."

"This is... horrible and every synonym for it out there." Jesse said softly, glancing over at the coat. "This is worse than his parents abandoning him, or him getting separated from his pack like I had imagined."

Petra only gave a small nod in response, subconsciously wrapping her arms around herself. Jesse could tell that it rattled her, which wasn't something that easily happened to Petra. But then again, Petra felt about Rascal like she felt about nobody else.

Jesse glanced down, her eyes meeting the tracker she had in her hands. Two dots were moving across the scene, heading directly towards the home base where she and Petra was.