Epilogue

Jesse let out a slow, relaxed breath, closing her eyes as she felt the sun beat down on her face and arms. A gently breeze was playing her long chestnut hair, carrying the smell of fresh cocoa beans through the air. Jesse began to smile, enjoying every bit of it.

She was standing out on the balcony of the tree-house, her elbows leaned on the wooden railing. It was a bright, sunny day. The jungle was bustling with life, parrots singing in the trees and two young, wild ocelots chasing each other through the undergrowth.

After Aiden's stunt of trapping them in 'temporary eternal night,' Jesse had a sudden new appreciation for the sunlight. Her smile faltered for a second, bitter at the thought of everything that had happened. After hearing that Rascal had attacked and killed Aiden, Jesse had thought it was something that would haunt her for days. Yet she still found herself almost... almost wanting to be happy at the fact that he was dead.

Jesse shook her head to herself, smiling again. She wasn't about to let her hatred and anger for Aiden ruin a good day. Everything turned out, after all.

The creak of a plank beneath a person's weight caught Jesse's attention. She glanced over her shoulder, her face lighting up at the sight of the person who stood a few feet behind her.

Petra's eyes were tired, but there was a faint smile on her face. Her red hair was a mess, her signature bandanna not there to keep it in place. She seemed to have just pulled on the first clothes she could find, over her sleepwear. Rascal stood by her side, Petra's one hand resting on his back.

"Well, isn't it good to see you out here." Jesse said, grinning at Petra.

"Eh." Petra just gave a shrug, walking over and leaning with her elbows on the railing as well. Jesse gave her friend a gentle nudge with her shoulder, still grinning.

Despite having been the one who got the most hurt in the final battle, despite being the one who nearly didn't make it out alive, Jesse hadn't struggled to recover from the battle nearly as much as Petra did. Petra did save her life – if Jesse had died in that cave sooner, the command block would not have been able to revive her. But of course, all the time Petra spent making sure Jesse was going to make it instead of focusing on herself, did have it's negative consequences. That was the first day she actually got up and left her room on her own free will.

"You know, I'm starting to understand what it was like for you after we defeated Soren." Petra said to Jesse, tracing the pattern in the wood with one finger. "Everybody around you is celebrating that the battle is over while you just feel... dead."

Jesse snorted slightly, causing Petra to grin as well.

"Well that's one way to put it." She said with a chuckle, shaking her head. She smiled at Petra. "It's good to see your humour's back."

"Don't get mushy on me, or I'll go straight back to bed." Petra said with a playful roll of her eyes, both of them returning to staring out over the jungle.

"So what's been going on the past few days?" Petra asked Jesse. "What did you do with the two airheads?"

"Who?"

"Maya and Gill."

"Oh." Jesse chuckled again. "At first, Lukas locked them in the shed, because we didn't know what to really do with them. And we were a bit preoccupied with you-"

"Skip that bit." Petra cut Jesse off, waving one hand at her.

Jesse just rolled her eyes. "Anyway, Radar stayed here a bit. It was actually pretty nice to talk to him again, and hear how things have been going in Beacontown."

"I thought we were talking about Maya and Gill, not Radar-"

"Let me finish, will you?"

"He actually didn't leave until yesterday, poor guy was quite shaken up and seemed to have been a punching bag for the Blaze Rods." Jesse shook her head and clicked her tongue. "Lukas is actually travelling back with him to make sure he gets home okay, and since he's using one of our horses-"