fourteen - "the pit" - fourteen

"In the OR, time loses all meaning. In the midst of sutures and saving lives, the clock ceases to matter. 15 minutes, 15 hours – Inside the OR, the best surgeons make time fly. Outside the OR, however, time takes pleasure in kicking our asses. For even the strongest of us it seems to play tricks. Slowing down. Hovering. Until it freezes. Leaving us stuck in a moment, unable to move in one direction or the other. Time flies. Time waits for no man. Time heals all wounds. All any of us wants is more time. Time to stand up. Time to grow up. Time to let go. Time."
-Meredith Grey, S3E1, "Time Has Come Today"

"At any given moment, the brain has 14 billion neurons firing at a speed of 450 miles per hour. We don’t have control over most of them. When we get a chill: goose bumps. When we get excited: adrenaline. The body naturally follows its impulses, which I think is part of what makes it so hard for us to control ours. Of course, sometimes we have impulses we would rather not control, that we later wish we had. The body is a slave to its impulses. But the thing that makes us human is what we can control. After the storm, after the rush, after the heat of the moment has passed, we can cool off and clean up the messes we made. We can try to let go of what was. Then again…"
-Meredith Grey, S3E2, "I Am A Tree"

"Surgeons usually fantasize about wild and improbable surgeries. Someone collapses in a restaurant, we splice them open with a butter knife, replace a valve with a hollowed out stick of carrot. But every now and then some other kind of fantasy slips in. Most of our fantasies dissolve when we wake, banished to the back of our mind, but sometimes we're sure if we try hard enough, we can live the dream. The fantasy is simple. Pleasure is good, and twice as much pleasure is better. That pain is bad, and no pain is better. But the reality is different. The reality is that pain is there to tell us something, and there's only so much pleasure we can take without getting a stomach ache. And maybe that's okay. Maybe some fantasies are only supposed to live in our dreams."
-Meredith Grey, S3E3, "Sometimes A Fantasy"

"At some point during surgical residency, most interns get a sense of who they are as doctors and the kinds of surgeons they are going to become. If you ask them, they'll tell you they are going to be general surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons. Distinctions which do more than describe their area of expertise, they help define who they are, because outside the operating room, not only do most surgeons have no idea who they are, they're afraid to find out."
-Meredith Grey, S3E4, "What Am I"

While Dr. Burke was recovering, and Izzie dealt with the repercussions of Denny and his death, the Shepherd family was thrown into a world of their own problems as well. It all started the day after Dr. Burke was shot. Anna didn't feel well and refused to go to the hospital with her parents. She stayed home for a day and then went with them to put Doc down.

"I'll give Doc an injection of terazole to make him sleepy, then I'll give him an IV injection of phenobarbitol."

"And that will stop his heart?"

"Yes."

"And what do we do after? With his body?"

"We can- We have the means to dispose of it for you."

"That's fine. Go ahead."

"We can't throw him away like he's garbage."

"We would never-"

"He's our dog, Derek."

"There's that, uh, clearing by the trailer."

"Overlooking the water?"