Chapter 20: Forgive Me But I'll Do This Alone

= Ken's POV =

I had a dream again.

Again, it was back in high school. I was sitting by a long table along with four other people and a person who had his or her chair turned.

All of them I recognize as my friends. They are all the members of the student council.

We were discussing something but somehow there was no sound coming out from our voices. Then, the chair not facing us suddenly turned around.

It was a girl with short black hair like the one from my previous dreams. I can see her face clearly, it was none other than our president.

She had a smile so bright it warmed my heart.

Her smile suddenly melted to sadness.

She then moved her mouth and spoke something but I can't hear a sound.

Marked on the faces of my friends were shock.

What did she told us? I wondered.

Then I woke up back in my flat lying on the sofa.

"Finally, you're awake." Haruhi-chan said while kneeled in front of me.

"Did you watch me sleep?" I asked.

"Don't get the wrong idea!" She flicked her finger into my forehead. "I happened to woke up first."

"Ouch!" I stood up. "Good morning to you, too."

I looked at the time. It was quarter to six in the morning.

"Wow, I woke up early." I praised myself.

"Rei-san will pick me at six." She said. "I was gonna wake you to tell I'm about to leave but you slept soundly."

"How about a quick breakfast?" I asked as I walk to the kitchen.

"Okay." She followed me.

I just prepared some strawberry jam and peanut butter on toasts.

"This is all?" She complained.

"Well I did say quick breakfast." I said. "Also, Rei-san will arrive here any minute now."

She was reluctant at first.

"Thanks for the meal!" We prayed.

And then she ate four more servings.

A few minutes later, someone's ringing at the door. I walked with her to the door to see her off.

"Good morning, Haruhi-sama and Oda-sama. I'm here to-" Rei-san said but was pushed away.

"Haruhi-chan!" Haruka Hashimoto hugs her daughter. "Thank goodness nothing terrible happened to you!"

She was wearing a stylish fur coat over her blue semi formal dress and black designer's heels.

"Mother, what are you doing here?" Haruhi-chan asked.

Her mother just raised an eyebrow.

"Uh sorry." Haruhi-said. "Good morning mother, may I ask why you're here? I thought you're off to a business trip?"

"Good morning." I greeted her but she ignored me.

"I was on my way there but I should see you first of course." Haruka said.

"So now you're being motherly." Haruhi-chan said.

"Well of course I need to keep my eye on you." She said. "Especially when there's a croaking frog around."