XIV.

I reach the wall rather quicker than we did last time thanks to my vampire speed.

With James taking care of the old man, I might as well gather some information on my own for now.

"Let's see what we can find out here." I talk to myself as I put down my bag on the ground beside me, heading directly to the gem shape on the wall.

It looked like an oval with 6 lines dividing it into 6 sects all meeting at one point that's obtrusive than the whole gem.

I run my finger over it and try to click on it but to no avail, nothing happens.

In my peripheral I spot something moving to my left, but as a predator, I act as if I haven't sensed anything to catch that thing unnoticed.

The figure starts moving closer and closer to me from behind, but before I could give it the satisfaction of success, I tackle it pinning him to the ground baring my fangs and red eyes at the man's face.

However, I could sense he wasn't a creature of the wizards, he was human.

"No no, please I beg you, spare me your mercy!" He begs and throttles under my hold trying to get away.

"What are you doing here?" I harshly ask bringing my face closer to his.

"We sensed an odd signal on the other side a-and we w-wanted to kn-now what caused it."

A weird signal? Right after I touched the gem. I narrow my eyes at him and take my chances to knowing more about what I got here to finish.

"So what does this shape mean?" I point at the gem on the wall behind me.

"It's part of our legacy, it's good omen. We believe it helps us defeat our enemies and makes us stronger."

"And what caused the signal?"

"I don't know that is what I was trying to find out before you interfered."

"Tell me more about the wall, what does it serve, how does it work, what's your purpose behind it?"

"I'll tell you nothing."

I bare my fangs at him taking his hand in mine, "How about now" as I bite his wrist and start sucking his blood.

Damn it's been a long time since I last had fresh warm blood.

He screams and scrambles underneath me until he finally gives up.

"Okay fine fine I'll tell you want you want just please stop."

I contemplate stopping seeing I am having so much fun at this, but I do need answers.

I get off him wiping my mouth with my sleeve. I grab my bag and take out a rope to tie him up to the nearest tree.

"This way you won't flee." I give him a cynical smile as I pat his head.

"Will you kill me?" He sounded so frightened glancing at his bloody wrist. I contemplate answering seeing I don't want to let my guard down but I end up saying, "Depends on how you act. I might spare you or maybe make a meal out of you."

"No please I'll tell you everything you want."

"Start"

And with that he starting talking about the wall, why they built it here and the purpose behind it here. Turns out I was right, they do want to weaken the wizards in order to get into the other stronger kingdoms. It's a smart strategical plan, and I would've actually be amazed by how they managed to do that without the wizards noticing anything.

But he also mentions that the humans seek to find the gem that is hidden in between the kingdoms, further validating my hypothetical suspicions.

"So the gem is still found?" I ask maintaining that serious facade.