Chapter 29: Failure

Only a few minutes pass when the lone sniper comes to my rescue, although it felt like hours. Simon was the brave soldier behind this, he's one of my best men for a reason. Any rebellion against me is destined to fail, I have real loyalists on my side. That was the one thing I bet Nate didn't count on. Now he's the pussy on his knees awaiting death.

"This was a nice try I'll give you that. I never saw it coming" I walk circles around him like an animal stalking its prey. He doesn't once look up at me, his overconfident temperament is finished.

"They killed a good portion of our men, fucking cowards ambushed them," Simon tells me, standing from the door.

That's a huge no-no. The Saviors are untouchable, a person secures their fate if they chose to attack anyone of us.

I ask him with a mixture of curiosity and anger in my voice, "How did these assholes manage to do that?"

"They took advantage of the fact we were scattered last night" he clarifies.

Then it instantly clicked. Last night I sent a bunch of Saviors to check on the satellite outpost. They were supposed to be back early this morning but never showed up. I assumed they were running late, "That's very calculated, Nate. You must've been thinking of this for a while. I wonder if Carmen was in on it"

His eyes widen at the mention of her name, "leave her out of this! We can handle this man to man"

I chuckle at his hypocrisy. Now he wants to 'handle this man to man' but he needed a group to try to assassinate me, "Simon get my wife, she has some explaining to do" I order him with callous.

"My pleasure, sir", he smirks at Nate devilishly.
____________________________________
Carmen

"What are you doing here?" I ask, opening the room door to the sight of a pompous Simon.

My worst fear is becoming a reality. Things couldn't have gone as planned for him to be looking at me the way he is. The sociopath is smugger than I have ever seen him.

"Don't ask questions, come on" he grabs my arms and tried to pull me out but I hold onto the door to keep him from gaining control.

"Get off me! I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what's going on. I heard the gunshots" I shout and swing at him however I'm no match for his man strength.

He manages to pry my hands off the door and without caution, he slams me into the hallway wall, "Playing stupid is gonna get you anywhere. You and Nate's plan was the biggest failure I've ever seen" he yells in my face.

I refuse to accept this. Nate couldn't have lost this battle because if he did that means Negan is going to kill him like he's been wanting to do all along.

"Go!" he pushes me forward and drags me by my shirt.

I struggle to stay on my feet but Simon doesn't slow down. It takes me almost falling on my face for me to assert myself, "I can walk myself"

"No, you can't. Since you want to act like a disobedient little child then I'm going to treat you like one" he keeps a hold of me until we get to the dreaded meeting room.

A strong musky odor hits me in the face, I almost puke at the smell. It's like death. The unholy amount of blood spilled is appalling. I can't even bring myself to look at the dead bodies. Luckily I don't think I know any of the deceased people but I can't be sure, I'm too scared to look at their faces.

"Nate" I call breathlessly and rush to his side not even caring about what Negan is going to say. I glance at the ties around his arms and kiss him on the forehead but he doesn't say a word, he's dead inside.

"About goddamn time! Nathaniel here was starting to get testy" he cackles and eyes us up and down confidently.

Nate then whispers to me quietly, "I'm sorry baby, I wish I could've done things differently" he apologizes.

"Shh, don't say that" I hug him around his restrains.

Negan breathing gets heavier and he stomps his foot loudly, "Enough of that, Carmen get over here" he demands.

I look up at him then back at Nate nervously, afraid of what he may do but I have to obey him. My feet slowly find their way to him but it does nothing but infuriate him more.

When I get in arms reach of him, he snatches me by my hair in a fit of rage, "You have some fucking nerve! I ignored all your faults and made you my wife but you still couldn't just be a good girl and accept it!"

I cry out in pain but somehow find the strength to stand up for myself, "I never asked to be your wife!"

He yanks my hair even harder, "Don't pull that card with me. How many times did we fuck? You can't say you hated everything I did to you"

"I didn't have a choice! You're a narcissist!"

He gives me an intense stare then throws me to the ground, "if that's what you want to tell yourself. Anyways that's not important right now. You're gonna tell me everything".

I scoot back to Nate's side with terror written all over my face. He notices how shook up I am and takes the lead, "she didn't know anything. We haven't talked in forever"

Simon jumps into the conversation before Negan can have a reaction, "That's a bold-faced lie. Y'all spoke on multiple occasion's, you're not as sneaky as you think you are"

Negan seems intrigued by the information that he is being offered. He's not going to stop until we confess, "Fine. Neither of you wants to say anything? Silence won't serve you well"

He takes the gun that was laying on the table and points it at Nate's head, "Okay! Stop! I knew that Nate wanted to kill you! He told me the plan last night when you were sleeping" I cry at Negan's feet shamelessly.

His face lights up in pleasure at my desperation, "and what was your part in this whole thing?"

I spill my guts to him, "I had to make sure you made it to your meeting on time, that's it".

He pets me on my head like a dog, "hmm. That's very disappointing sweetheart. I was really starting to form a connection with you. It's a shame I'm gonna have to go hard proving my point"

It shocks me that I'm still not off the hook. Usually, it doesn't take much to get him to forgive me.

"Please Negan, This is my fault." Nate makes a final attempt to get Negan to go easy on me.

In an unexpected turn of events, it's like the ordinary Negan returns. It brings him so much joy to see that he has Nate fully beaten down.

"Well, won't you look at that! He's begging too! If I was you I would save your pleads for later" he resorts to his typical signature smile that is less intense and more cocky.

"Simon, get him up, it's time to hand out punishments"