XIX

And then there was a sting on my chest. Miguel. He's getting married. But not with me.

I remember vividly the day that we talked about future. Getting married, a beach wedding, having 3 kids. We're getting a house there was a backyard and he will build a mini play ground.

Just like that, that was shuttered to pieces.

"They want me to marry her, and move to... Canada. You know how controlling and powerful my parents are."

Tears were falling on my pajamas.

"I talked to her afterwards, and made her confess to me. Anong gusto nya, anong kelangan nya saakin. She said that she love me and everything. But eventually I got her to talking. She wants money. Money, Jia. She just wants money. My money. I offered her a huge amount of money, and by huge I mean millions but she had to promise to stay away from me. She declined."

I was still mute. I really don't know what to say and what to feel.

"Jia, help me. Marry me instead." I snapped my head towards him. "What the hell is he thinking?" I asked myself. "Let's elope. We have all the reasons in the world. I have money, you can continue your volleyball career, I can work. I still have my savings. I love you, you love me. We both want a happy family."

"You're right."

"Yes, I am right. I love you Jia. Say you love me too."

I was shaking my head no. "I-I can't."

"Huh? Akala ko ba tama ako?"

"Yes, tama ka. We both want a happy family. And escaping you're problem won't make you happy. It definitely won't make me happy."

"Urg, shit, I hate that you're always right. What should I do now?"

"Marry her."

"That's the least thing that I will do."

"No, that's your priority. The child is your priority."

"Jia...."

"Miguel. I know masakit sayo, masakit din saakin, pero yun ang tamang gawain. Alam kong mabait kang tao, at responsable kang lalaki. Kaya alam ko na alam mong tama yung ginawa ng magulang mo. Pakasalan mo sya Miguel. That's the right thing to do."

"Jia, didn't you heard what I just said? Gusto nya lang ng pera."

"I heard you right. Think about the child, MIguel. If we elope today, he or she will grow up without a dad. Do you want that?"

"Why are you doing this? Kahit sa ka-gagu-hang ginawa ko, you're still like that?"

"Galit ako sayo Miguel, galit na galit na galit ako sayo, pero you still have a special place in my heart, and hindi na mawawala yun. Kahit anong mangyari. But now, please take my advice and leave, I have a lot of things to do."

"Jia please. Please, help me."

"I can't Miguel. I just can't."

"Okay, then just tell me that you still love me." For the first time since we got together, I can't tell him that I love him. Not because I don't, but because, I don't want to complicate things.

"I-I can't. Sorry. And after this, I won't be able to talk to you again." I stood up and opened the door for him to leave.

B E A

"Since then, he still goes here, but I always decline to talk to him. Until I heard that they flew to Canada for the wedding. She had the child and that they are living together now." Jia said as she was twiddle her thumbs.