XXII

J I A

"Jho was here earlier." Bea said as I was comfortably sitting watching my favorite sport being played on the TV.

"Really?" I said still looking and watching volleyball. "How was she? Does she plan on getting back to volleyball?" I said trying to sound platonic as possible.

"She's doing fine, I guess. Happily married. She came to say things like.... Saying sorry about what happened last year. And trying to explain things..."

"Trying?"

"I actually stopped her from explaining and apologizing. I mean that's past. All should be forgiven right?"

"Right." I looked at the time and turned off the TV.  I stood up to get my duffel bag. "Uhm Bei, I better get going."

She took a glance on the clock it was only 1pm and she knows that was way too early for me to go home. "Huh? Aga pa ah? May lakad ka ba?" Now, I need to make an excuse.

"Uh... y-yes. I remembered that Mamu needs me."

"You're going to drive all the way to Parañaque? On a weekday? Then drive tomorrow morning for your training?" I hate that she figured out all the things. I hate this side of her.

"Yes." That's all I had to say so as the conversation will not be longer. In my mind, I was crossing my fingers for her not to ask more. She squinted her eyes and pursed her lips before nodding slowly.

She went back to her bedroom and minutes after she was on maong shorts and jacket. She was holding her mazda rx7 keys.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to drive you."

"I brought my car."

"I know. And don't worry safe yun dito." She rented a parking space for me to put my car especially when I went here. I said that was not necessary cause I never stay overnight but she said she already paid for it and she cannot refund it anymore. "I'll drive you then I'll drive back then I'll fetch you tomorrow morning. Tara na para di tayo ma stuck sa traffic."

"Wait Bea. That's hassle. Di mo naman kelangan ako ipag-drive. I can manage."

"I know. I want to tho."

"Bea..."

"Jia. Stop. I won't let you drive to Parañaque and then drive early in the morning tomorrow. Wala ka nang energy for your training. Atleast ako wala akong training."

"Ayaw pa kasing pirmahan yung contract." I had to whisper it so as she won't hear it but she did.

"That's not the argument in here, Jia. I know you, and somewhat I kinda know Tita Mamu, too. She won't let you go home when she knows that you have training tomorrow." Shit. This is what I told myself. Stupid Jia. "But if you really need to go home, at least let me drive you." I kinda miss Mamu and Jobok now.

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Fine. Bring clean clothes. You'll overnight at our house." When she was about to speak, I cut her off. "...and don't argue anymore. You won't win this time."

I sat down and got my phone, scrolling thru social media, while waiting for her.

We were in her car and driving thru traffic of Parañaque. I'm so immature trying to avoid a mature conversation. I feel that she just wants to say that for the sake of sharing it, not that there is any hidden meaning or anything. She just wants to have a mature conversation with me regarding Jho.

"Oh my God." I had to snap my head towards her. She was looking straight ahead and concentrating on driving.

"Why?! What happened?!" I looked around check what she exclaimed to.

"I'm just wondering how I'm going to react in front of your parents and siblings. Nahiya ako bigla."

I had to laugh out loud in that and she rolled her eyes on me. "Ang tapang tapang mo kanina na sabihin ipagda-drive mo ako tapos ngayon nahihiya ka na?!"

"I was trying to convince that you are making a stupid decision."

I was still laughing and I had to clutch my stomach. I looked at her and she was really looking worried.

"Don't worry. Hindi naman sila nangangain. Nangangagat lang." She didn't react at all. "Hey, I was just trying to lighten up the mood. Smile ka na."

"Did you even texted them or informed them that you are coming home and that you have company?"

"No." I said and then looked outside the window. Its surprising that there not much of a traffic at this hour.

"They should know right? At least mention it."

"It's okay Bea. Relax. I got Mamu and Papu. Relax and just drive." I closed my eyes and try to get a nap.

"Ji..."

"Shush Bea."

Minutes later, I feel her pulled over. I thought we already arrived but when I opened my eyes we were at a pizza place. It was almost 8pm and I bet she was hungry. She entered the drive thru and ordered 5 boxes of pizza. 5 BOXES!!!

"Bea..."

"One box, we can share, we are still an hour away. The other 3 are for your parents and siblings. The remaining box is for them." She nodded towards the family that was in front of a convenience store.

She put the 3 boxes on the back and then one on her seat. We walked over the family that she plan to give. I stopped walking and got my phone. I captured the scene and put the phone on my back pocket.

She jogged back towards me and smiled. "Let's go?"

When we got back inside her car again, I check on the picture that I took as I already thought of a caption for this Instagram post.

I clicked on it and I had to stop for a moment cause I felt like my heart stopped beating.

She was giving the pizza box to the homeless family and they were smiling to her. Well, that wasn't caught me off guard. What made me stop was, her.

It was her. She was smiling and the street light that was on her back gave an different but amazing feeling to that moment.

My heart beats faster and faster as I took a involuntarily took a glance at the actual Bea who is eating slowly and gracefully.

Oh no.

No. No, no, no. No.

I slapped my face so as to assure that I was not dreaming, or just imagining things. I opened my eyes and then looked at her again. I swear there was too much blood on my heart as it was not stopping on beating too fast.

She has these worried glances on me on what I did to myself.

Then I realized. I was doomed.

Not again.

Not this fast.

Not to her.

Fuck.